No announcement yet.

The Linux Kernel Getting Fixed Up For Booting On Some Intel Systems - No "8254"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Linux Kernel Getting Fixed Up For Booting On Some Intel Systems - No "8254"

Phoronix: The Linux Kernel Getting Fixed Up For Booting On Some Intel Systems - No "8254"

There have been Linux reports of problems pertaining to "8254 Clock Gating" going back a while but more so recently. This problem is some newer Intel Skylake~Apollolake derived systems particularly with Intel SoCs where certain systems ship with the 8254 PIT to be gated via a special register and up until now that has caused Linux to fail to boot...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

In the age of modern x86, I'm surprised it took so long to get a system to fail boot because IRQ0 was gated.
    So these x86-systems are the first ever to ship with it gated? Mind-boggling.

Comment

I wonder why would they clock-gate a timer in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
        I wonder why would they clock-gate a timer in the first place.
        Windows 10 probably doesn't need it any longer

Comment

Originally posted by mlau View Post
          Windows 10 probably doesn't need it any longer
          More like it's useless on modern hardware. (from the linux kernel patch)

Modern sytems allow to discover the TSC and local APIC timer frequencies, so the calibration against the PIT is not required.
          These systems have always running timers and the local APIC timer works also in deep power states.
          So the setup of the PIT including the IO-APIC timer interrupt delivery checks are a pointless exercise.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post

More like it's useless on modern hardware. (from the linux kernel patch)
            I don't disagree, BUT, BIOSes are only tested on Windows, and if an option like this is off by default it can only mean that latest Windows 10 doesn't need it (on that particular platform).
            Also, Windows relies more on ACPI for device discovery. It doesn't probe the 8259 chip if there is no PNP0000 device in the ACPI DSDT, and I bet
            the platforms in question don't expose it when the option is switched off. I'd say Linux' assumption that the 8259 is always present is wrong.
            Last edited by mlau; 01 July 2019, 06:11 AM.

Comment

I don't disagree, BUT, BIOSes are only tested on Windows, and if an option like this is off by default it can only mean that latest Windows 10 doesn't need it (on that particular platform).
              Also, Windows relies more on ACPI for device discovery. It doesn't probe the 8259 chip if there is no PNP0000 device in the ACPI DSDT, and I bet
              the platforms in question don't expose it when the option is switched off. I'd say Linux' assumption that the 8259 is always present is wrong.
              suggesting Windows does something right and Linux was doing it wrong, woah someones trying to start a storm.

Comment

I don't disagree, BUT, BIOSes are only tested on Windows,
                It does not change one bit the part I quoted. It's not talking about Linux, but about hardware.

Modern sytems allow to discover the TSC and local APIC timer frequencies, so the calibration against the PIT is not required.
                These systems have always running timers and the local APIC timer works also in deep power states.

It basically says that this timer register is useless legacy.

I'd say Linux' assumption that the 8259 is always present is wrong.
                yes, and the commit message also says that even wehn this register is present, Linux kernel is using it for no real reason. The horror. The pain. the inefficiency.

the setup of the PIT including the IO-APIC timer interrupt delivery checks are a pointless exercise.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  the commit message also says that even wehn this register is present, Linux kernel is using it for no real reason. The horror. The pain. the inefficiency.
                  You will get the benefit of the doubt that "use" meant just the setup code. During regular operation (call it boot-complete), the 8259 already stays unused; according to /proc/interrupts on my machine, the timer on IRQ0 has fired only 11 times ever since boot, so that is good. Of course, if the setup also ditches it, the better, but 1.366s kernel boot time is already good here.

Comment

Ah, I knew I read about PIT-less systems before...

Should have just talked to the PS4 Linux project how to get things working on systems with fewer legacy components.

Comment

Working...
                    X