Ubuntu Drama, Clear Linux Speed & WSL2 Sparked Lots Of Interest In June

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Drama, Clear Linux Speed & WSL2 Sparked Lots Of Interest In June

Phoronix: Ubuntu Drama, Clear Linux Speed & WSL2 Sparked Lots Of Interest In June

June was a very interesting month with the varying statements out of Canonical about the future of Ubuntu 32-bit support, AMD's Zen 2 processors and Navi product announcements (benchmarks next week!), Microsoft pushing out the new Windows Terminal and WSL2, Clear Linux continuing to further enhance their offering, and more Linux performance happenings in general...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

While I dig Clear Linux performance, its mild inability to work with older UEFI implementations (typically Sandy Bridge) and their planned removal of AMD related Linux kernel tweaks kinds of forces it back into the back burner for me.

I am not going to go out and buy a Cascade Lake or Ice Lake box just to perform some testing and non-critical development work.

Perhaps when a used Skylake box with a full supported UEFI release is available at a more reasonable price, I will revisit it again. Until then, its off the radar for now.

FWIW: Microsoft announced last week that their Azure Cloud Service now has more Linux hosts than Windows.

Comment

Working...
    X