Debian 10.0 "Buster" Now Available - Powered By Linux 4.19, GNOME + Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debian 10.0 "Buster" Now Available - Powered By Linux 4.19, GNOME + Wayland

Phoronix: Debian 10.0 "Buster" Now Available - Powered By Linux 4.19, GNOME + Wayland

After a long day of preparations, Debian 10.0 "Buster" is now available as planned with the CD/DVD images having just hit the mirrors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Congratulations to Debian withe the release!

Debian is really the universal operating system just as advertised.
    Since I started using Debian in 2006 it has been a pure trouble free joyride!

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Originally posted by waxhead View Post

I hate the package format...

Comment

BUUUSTEEEERRRRR!!!!

BEAMMMMMMm!!!

Comment

if you enjoy outdated software and drivers that make nothing work, sure!

Comment

Originally posted by JoshuaAshton View Post

And what exactly makes software outdated?! You can't compare a program to milk that you need to throw away after a certain date. Debian buster is fairly up to date, and the testing repo is more than bleeding edge enough for most users anyway. If you can't wait a month or two (and in some cases less) to get the latest and greatest then you obviously value stability less than shiny. Debian is not a toy - it's for getting real work done!

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

And what exactly makes software outdated?! You can't compare a program to milk that you need to throw away after a certain date. Debian buster is fairly up to date, and the testing repo is more than bleeding edge enough for most users anyway. If you can't wait a month or two (and in some cases less) to get the latest and greatest then you obviously value stability less than shiny. Debian is not a toy - it's for getting real work done!
              > And what exactly makes software outdated?! You can't compare a program to milk that you need to throw away after a certain date.
              I can and will make that comparison. Software is updated for a reason. [cont. after next quote...]

> you obviously value stability less than shiny
              No, I value having up to date software that has fixes and better support -- of which won't reach Debian until some dumb neckbeard thinks that because something is over 6 months old it is now ""stable.""
              Old != Stable -- they don't even test this shit, they just think that because it's old it must be good.

> Debian is not a toy - it's for getting real work done!
              I mean, they're launching with 3/4ths of a year old kernel for Christ's sake, the latest MinGW on there uses GCC 6 FROM 2016!
              I literally *cannot* work with this given my work entails a) graphics and b) something compiled with MinGW.

What do you define as ""real work""?

Comment

> And what exactly makes software outdated?! You can't compare a program to milk that you need to throw away after a certain date.
                I can and will make that comparison. Software is updated for a reason. [cont. after next quote...]

> you obviously value stability less than shiny
                No, I value having up to date software that has fixes and better support -- of which won't reach Debian until some dumb neckbeard thinks that because something is over 6 months old it is now ""stable.""
                Old != Stable -- they don't even test this shit, they just think that because it's old it must be good.

> Debian is not a toy - it's for getting real work done!
                I mean, they're launching with 3/4ths of a year old kernel for Christ's sake, the latest MinGW on there uses GCC 6 FROM 2016!
                I literally *cannot* work with this given my work entails a) graphics and b) something compiled with MinGW.

What do you define as ""real work""?
                #define REALWORK "shovel operator"

Comment

When you need things like LLVM 9 for AMDGPU optimizations, or, holy shit, Mesa newer than 18.3...ROFL...Debian is going to suck for gaming.

Comment

If you can't make Debian work, you might as well just give up on computing altogether. That's a sad comment.

Comment

Working...
                    X