Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 4.12.1 Released To Fix Broken 64-Bit Support

Phoronix: Wine 4.12.1 Released To Fix Broken 64-Bit Support

Wine's bi-weekly development snapshots do not normally see point releases, but this time around there's an immediate bug fix release to Friday's Wine 4.12...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Yes, I was quite shocked when it happened. 4.12 doesn't just crash, it completely corrupts the bottle so it can't be used any longer and has to be destroyed.

In any case, since I custom compile my own wine, and just finished completely revamping my custom Wine Manager two days ago, I spent about 5 hours yesterday trying to figure out what the heck went wrong. I tried recompiling other versions to make sure my environment wasn't somehow responsible, and then thought there must be some new compilation option or options that I was unaware of. But nope, this was just an astounding bug that literally caused wineboot to destroy bottles the instant it was run.

Many years ago wine bugs that destroyed bottles were fairly common, so I always used to create a test bottle when trying a new version. I should probably start doing that again. The most amazing thing though is that no one, from any distro it seems, tested the new wine. Even Ubuntu put out packages that wiped out people's installations. I can't blame Ubuntu though, since I've gone back to Manjaro and did it all to myself
    Last edited by muncrief; 07 July 2019, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Good thing the update hasn't landed yet in Solus ^^
      (just left a comment on the update in the pipes so we immediately use 4.12.1 instead)

Comment

Okay, I compiled 4.12.1 and it seems to work fine. I don't have time to do a lot of tests but I fired up a few games and my KXStudio based Reaper/Electra 2/EZdrummer music studio and everything worked. Note that I use Manjaro so I can't use the official KXStudio, instead I use AUR compiled versions of Claudia, etc. But it seems to track the official KXStudio fairly well.

In any case the bottle destroying wineboot bug is definitely gone.

Comment

Originally posted by muncrief View Post
          Even Ubuntu put out packages that wiped out people's installations.
          More like caused by an APT/Debian packaging flaw. Sometimes a simple conflict can put the system in a "confused" state, and to get out you have to uninstall a lot of essential packages. This happened to me once when uninstalling the KXStudio repos. I almost wiped my system by accident.

Comment

Also, are bottles and prefixes the same thing?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

More like caused by an APT/Debian packaging flaw. Sometimes a simple conflict can put the system in a "confused" state, and to get out you have to uninstall a lot of essential packages. This happened to me once when uninstalling the KXStudio repos. I almost wiped my system by accident.
              Yeah I've seen this in Ubuntu/debian too. Part of the reason I migrated to a saner distro, where you can't just press y to (or let auto-updates) bork the whole system and leave only console.

Comment

Also, are bottles and prefixes the same thing?
                Yes they are.

Comment

No, this was a serious bug in wineboot. I run Manjaro and compile my own custom wine so I can run different versions at the same time. Most people can't do that, but I've developed my own custom Wine Manager over many years and am in the unique position of being able to compile, run, and compare many different wine versions simultaneously.

Lately I even did a major rewrite of my Wine Manager and virtualized the ~/.config, ~/.local/share, and ~/Desktop directories so I can turn the XDG on and off for individual bottles, complete with dynamically created submenus, allowing menu entries to be organized, combined, and turned on and off on the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by muncrief View Post

No, this was a serious bug in wineboot. I run Manjaro and compile my own custom wine so I can run different versions at the same time. Most people can't do that, but I've developed my own custom Wine Manager over many years and am in the unique position of being able to compile, run, and compare many different wine versions simultaneously.

Lately I even did a major rewrite of my Wine Manager and virtualized the ~/.config, ~/.local/share, and ~/Desktop directories so I can turn the XDG on and off for individual bottles, complete with dynamically created submenus, allowing menu entries to be organized, combined, and turned on and off on the fly.
                    Where do you store your PKGBUILD files? Do you have a GitHub account? Is your own custom Wine in a public place?

Comment

Working...
                    X