Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Software Moving Forward With Disabling Snap Plugin

Phoronix: GNOME Software Moving Forward With Disabling Snap Plugin

While currently Ubuntu makes use of GNOME Software as their "software center" (or "app store") with Snap integration, as we wrote about recently Canonical has begun writing their own Snap Store. Given this and that they don't plan to use GNOME Software in Ubuntu 20.04 LTS and thus have taken their developers away from working on the upstream support, GNOME developers are planning to disable the Snap plug-in for GNOME Software...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Any excuse to remove a feature, GNOME will be there!

Comment

Originally posted by Lanz View Post
      Arguably that's often a bad thing with Gnome, but I don't believe so this time. FAIK Ubuntu is the only distro using snaps, and I'm relatively skeptical about just how many Ubuntu users are actively using snaps to install software, as opposed to project distributed Flatpacks (like GIMP), or AppImage (like Krita), with the rest just using regular ole apt. It makes sense to drop features that are not going to be widely used or developed. Bit rot in long lived projects is a real problem (ok perhaps not in Gnome with how aggressive they are in even removing useful features and refusing to re-implement others).

Comment

It's a third party plugin, not a GNOME feature. If Snap devs don't care about it, then it's OK to remove it.
        Last edited by spykes; 11 July 2019, 08:20 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

And this, ladies and gentleman, is the moment snap died.

If snaps reside in one store, and you need to open up another store to install gimp, you're clearly seeing a hazzle for users. Title tag for desktop icons: "This is the store where you can install skype", and another one "This is the store where you can locate gimp" and a third for synaptic "Just use me and ppas".

Convergence is the key. Canonical will never learn.

Comment

A feature very few outside of Ubuntu use.

Comment

Next on news: someone creates a solution to encompass Flatpak, AppImage and Snap, (part of) the community complains about bloat

Comment

The business model of Snap is based on the proprietary server, that is run and controlled by Canonical, including revenue stream for paid apps.

I don't see why an open desktop environment should feel in any way or form be obliged to stay compatible by default with that business model, without a written contract that includes monetary participation.

Especially given that there are fully open alternatives already established.

Snap will stay within the Canonical ecosystem, that's what it was created for, and that's where it belongs just fine.

Comment

I wished Canonical focused snap on non-gui stuff. That's where I see a real benefit from it. In the desktop realm, flatpak seems far more advanced IMHO.

Comment

What is Ubuntu planning to replace gnome with in 20.04? I tried googling for the announcement (or a Phoronix article) but couldn't find it. Does anyone know what their plans are?

Comment

Working...
                    X