Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XFS Gets Cleaned Up In Linux 5.3 Kernel Development Activity

Phoronix: XFS Gets Cleaned Up In Linux 5.3 Kernel Development Activity

While not too eventful on the end-user feature front, the XFS file-system has seen another round of clean-ups with the ongoing Linux 5.3 merge window...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder if there will ever be a solution to shrink an XFS filesystem.

Comment

Originally posted by azdaha View Post
      I wonder if there will ever be a solution to shrink an XFS filesystem.
      Maybe. The problem is the log, that is located in the middle of the filesystem at creation time. If the filesystem should be shrunk more than half of the original size, the log has to be relocated. This has not been solved today. Relocating the allocation groups beyond the log was already implemented, AFAIR. But relocation of the log is still missing.

Comment

Originally posted by PuckPoltergeist View Post

Maybe. The problem is the log, that is located in the middle of the filesystem at creation time. If the filesystem should be shrunk more than half of the original size, the log has to be relocated. This has not been solved today. Relocating the allocation groups beyond the log was already implemented, AFAIR. But relocation of the log is still missing.
        Thanks for the response. Based on your comments, it could be inferred, then, that it is (should be) possible to shrink an XFS filesystem (partition) as long as the target size is larger than 50% of the initial size. However, as far as I know, shrinking an XFS filesystem is still not implemented at all. If your assertions are correct, it would still be useful to implement shrinking an XFS filesystem with that limitation; even if it is not perfect. Perhaps it's not worth devoting time/resources to an incomplete feature that would have to be implemented in an entirely different way in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by azdaha View Post

Thanks for the response. Based on your comments, it could be inferred, then, that it is (should be) possible to shrink an XFS filesystem (partition) as long as the target size is larger than 50% of the initial size. However, as far as I know, shrinking an XFS filesystem is still not implemented at all. If your assertions are correct, it would still be useful to implement shrinking an XFS filesystem with that limitation; even if it is not perfect. Perhaps it's not worth devoting time/resources to an incomplete feature that would have to be implemented in an entirely different way in the end.
          Work on shrinking a XFS filesystem was started when XFS was maintained by SGI. Since then, nobody cared enough to finish this. Also I wasn't entirely right about status. There are some more parts missing for shrinking even to 50% of original size: https://marc.info/?l=linux-xfs&m=119131697224361&w=2

Maybe the stratis project from Red Hat will change this. But I wouldn't bet on this.

Comment

Awesome info and references, buddy. Thank you for that

Comment

Working...
            X