Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Frameworks 5.60 Released With Many Changes & Fixes

Phoronix: KDE Frameworks 5.60 Released With Many Changes & Fixes

Today marks the immediate availability of KDE Frameworks 5.60...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

time to update those juicy kde packages.

Comment

Spelling error:

"Solid will now shouw mounted overlay file-systems via fstab"

"shouw"

Comment

From the changelog:
        "[Places panel] Don't show Root by default"
        What is this, does it mean that by defaullt there won't be anymore the "Root" link on the panel and I need to search for it somewhere in the configuration to enable it?
        I am using the "Root" link all the time as a starting point to go to /etc, /opt or somewhere else afterwards.
        I want it to be there by default because it's so useful.
        I don't want the dumbed-down version with only the Downloads, Documents, etc.
        If they want to fix something in the default Dolphin's view, they should fix the missing reload
        The back and forward buttons are good, but I think that the reload button should accompany them like in Windows and in web browsers.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
          From the changelog:
          What is this, does it mean that by defaullt there won't be anymore the "Root" link on the panel and I need to search for it somewhere in the configuration to enable it?
          I am using the "Root" link all the time as a starting point to go to /etc, /opt or somewhere else afterwards.
          If they want to fix something in the default Dolphin's view, they should fix the missing reload
          The back and forward buttons are good, but I think that the reload button should accompany them like in Windows and in web browsers.
          And the Up button.

Sometimes when doing system maintenance and working on personal projects I'll type out the directory where I need to go, which isn't always the root of the project if I need to edit a config file, and then I'll click back (out of habit) and go to my $HOME directory instead of up a level.

At least it's as simple as Right Click>Configure Toolbar to add both of those.

It'll also only effect new installs. It won't change your existing setup.

Comment

From the changelog:
            No, no, no, sir, you got that wrong. KDE never dumbs down apps, don't confuse KDE with GNOME.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

And the Up button.

Sometimes when doing system maintenance and working on personal projects I'll type out the directory where I need to go, which isn't always the root of the project if I need to edit a config file, and then I'll click back (out of habit) and go to my $HOME directory instead of up a level.

At least it's as simple as Right Click>Configure Toolbar to add both of those.

It'll also only effect new installs. It won't change your existing setup.
              I agree, the Up button is very useful also.
              And yes, adding them from Configure toolbar is pretty simple, that's why I didn't say anything until now, but seeing them wanting to make changes to the default view of Dolphin, I would rather prefer to do these so we don't have to do it each time instead of other changes that are not really required or will make the default view worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

No, no, no, sir, you got that wrong. KDE never dumbs down apps, don't confuse KDE with GNOME.
                Ok, I hope so, but this change seemed like one that Gnome would do, if I'm right.
                In any case I hope that it was just a misunderstanding and they will not actually remove the "Root" from the panel by default.

Comment

I agree, the Up button is very useful also.
                  And yes, adding them from Configure toolbar is pretty simple, that's why I didn't say anything until now, but seeing them wanting to make changes to the default view of Dolphin, I would rather prefer to do these so we don't have to do it each time instead of other changes that are not really required or will make the default view worse.
                  Well, the view change will only effect new installs of Plasma and it will not change what you already have set up.

While I don't like that change either, I do understand it from their perspective -- most dumbass end-users don't need access to it . When they do, they're usually following some copy/paste guide in a terminal . For people like us, it's as simple as typing "/" into the toolbar and dragging the icon next to it over to Places .

That said, dragging that icon over to Places gets it labeled as "(I18N_EMPTY_MESSAGE)" instead of "Root" or "/" and we then have to change the label in the right click menu .

Comment

Ok, I hope so, but this change seemed like one that Gnome would do, if I'm right.
                    In any case I hope that it was just a misunderstanding and they will not actually remove the "Root" from the panel by default.
                    They are. There is no misunderstanding here.

Comment

Working...
                    X