Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Speed Select Technology Comes To Linux With The 5.3 Kernel

Phoronix: Intel Speed Select Technology Comes To Linux With The 5.3 Kernel

With the in-development Linux 5.3 kernel is now support for Intel Speed Select Technology (SST) that was introduced as part of Cascade Lake processors. Speed Select Technology allows optimizing the system with per-core performance configurations to prioritize certain workloads while lowering the performance envelope for other cores...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Anyone else getting lost with all the Intel CPU code names? It's ridiculous.

Comment

Sounds like a way to reduce core hopping latency for processes. I hope AMD and Intel try to solve this in hardware, because I personally don't want to be hand holding cpu's in this fashion. Running processes optimally is kinda the cpu's reason for being.

Comment

Intel should release Speed Select Technology threat mitigations at the same time they release Speed Select Technology. Get it all out of the way at once.

Comment

Originally posted by ThoreauHD View Post
          Sounds like a way to reduce core hopping latency for processes. I hope AMD and Intel try to solve this in hardware, because I personally don't want to be hand holding cpu's in this fashion. Running processes optimally is kinda the cpu's reason for being.
          No Linux already does that, it's sounds like more of a way to ensure that cores that should be boosted are, and those that are not doing anything critical sacrifice their TDP to ensure that boosting cores boost as much as possible.

Comment

Speed Shift Technology, Speed Select Technology, and Smart Sound Technology... all of these go by SST, and all are related to Intel. It's like they want to make it hard to search information specific to these technologies lol

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
              Speed Shift Technology, Speed Select Technology, and Smart Sound Technology... all of these go by SST, and all are related to Intel. It's like they want to make it hard to search information specific to these technologies lol
              Knowing Intel, yes, yes they do.

Comment

I wish we were in the Mad Max universe...you know, the Earth is a giant ass desert and there's no more fucking lakes to name CPUs after.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                  I wish we were in the Mad Max universe...you know, the Earth is a giant ass desert and there's no more fucking lakes to name CPUs after.

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
                    Don't forget the Boeing Supersonic Transport

Comment

Working...
                    X