Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu-WSL Package Offers Better Ubuntu Integration On Windows Subsystem For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu-WSL Package Offers Better Ubuntu Integration On Windows Subsystem For Linux

Phoronix: Ubuntu-WSL Package Offers Better Ubuntu Integration On Windows Subsystem For Linux

Canonical's Balint Reczey has announced the addition of a new ubuntu-wsl package that will be installed by default when running Ubuntu on Microsoft's Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) in order to provide better integration...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

MS has realized that Linux is superior for development, and developers are moving to Linux. However, why would anybody compromise security by using Windows and WSL instead of Linux? Also, I'm considering to run Qubes OS to strengthen security, not other way around,... Lowering security by moving to windows.
    ​​​​​​

Comment

@kravemir

I think the answer to your question is company/institute specific. But I imagine some places requiring all work PC fo be windows, due to windows only monitoring programs..., but having linux servers. So, in this hypothetical situation, having the ability to run linux to do development for working on linux servers, from a windows environment, is advantageous.

This of course is just hypothetical, its a very conditional question and problem.

Comment

Originally posted by kravemir View Post
        MS has realized that Linux is superior for development, and developers are moving to Linux. However, why would anybody compromise security by using Windows and WSL instead of Linux? Also, I'm considering to run Qubes OS to strengthen security, not other way around,... Lowering security by moving to windows.
        ​​​​​​
        No, Microsoft isn't acknowledging any such thing, and there's a great many Windows developers that would disagree with you. What you're seeing is Microsoft acknowledging it's basically lost the server closet and data center wars. So to stop hemorrhaging server platform and administrators to MacOS and Linux who require a decent compatible terminal to do their job - much like the graybeards used to need for IBM mainframes (3270 compatible terminal software) - they are adding Linux compatible terminal software in Windows along with the ability to prototype Linux server software in Windows.

Will it work? Probably. Most people still need Windows to do the rest of their job and WSJ is more convenient than VirtualBox et al.

But if you think business client development and the multi billion dollar gaming industry are starting to or going to switch en mass to Linux you are sadly mistaken.

Comment

Working...
        X