Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The New Features & Improvements Of The Linux 5.3 Kernel

Phoronix: The New Features & Improvements Of The Linux 5.3 Kernel

The Linux 5.3 kernel merge window is expected to close today so here is our usual recap of all the changes that made it into the mainline tree over the past two weeks. There is a lot of changes to be excited about from Radeon RX 5700 Navi support to various CPU improvements and ongoing performance work to supporting newer Apple MacBook laptops and Intel Speed Select Technology enablement.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Interesting... I read through the entire feature list and I could only find ONE feature that I'm using (xfs), other than that, the entire new feature set seems unrelated to my use of linux.

anyone else care to comment how the new features affect you? anything that affects you directly?

Comment

Originally posted by bash2bash View Post
      Interesting... I read through the entire feature list and I could only find ONE feature that I'm using (xfs), other than that, the entire new feature set seems unrelated to my use of linux.

anyone else care to comment how the new features affect you? anything that affects you directly?
      There are a couple of things that interest me. I use Btrfs so I certainly welcome improvements in that area. I also run Aarch64 Ubuntu on a RPi so the optimisations for that architecture affect me too. Finally, my current spare time project uses AVX2 but I have been wondering whether it would be worth it to consider AVX512. The new kernel will make it easier to test it, benchmark it and decide if my program would really benefit from it or not.

Comment

Navi support affects me since I am thinking of buying a 5700xt in August.

Comment

The thread counting for the nfs client will potentially be useful for me both at home and work.

Navi support will probably eventually be helpful as well, but I'm currently still content with my 8GB RX580.

The virtual IOMMU might also be a very useful piece for me at home/work as well.

I used to use XFS all the time, but nowadays it's mostly ext4 for the primary systems and ZFS on the NAS box.

Comment

You aren't using Linux enough. Please use it more, good sir.

Comment

Ati 5800XT isn't ready for Debian Bullseye or Buster just yet. X.org needs to be updated with the driver code. I was testing it last night on my Razer setup at home. The X.org API is too new in Debian Buster for the official drivers so you either downgrade to Stretch, install Ubuntu 18, or wait.

Comment

You guys are nuts. The scheduler changes ALONE have improved performance across the board. I thought it was just me at first. I was seeing 10-20% higher framerates in games, smoother OS performance, and much more. I didn't change a thing other than update the kernel. Then others began reporting in stating similar things. 5.3 is a BIG release, and you should upgrade to it ASAP. My 1950X runs circles around Windows in both gaming and productivity now.

Comment

Working...
                X