Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Purism Finally Announces The Firmed Up Specifications For The Librem 5 Smartphone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purism Finally Announces The Firmed Up Specifications For The Librem 5 Smartphone

Phoronix: Purism Finally Announces The Firmed Up Specifications For The Librem 5 Smartphone

It still remains to be seen if Purism will be able to ship the Librem 5 Linux smartphone this quarter as is their current revised target, but at least today they are publishing the finalized specifications for the phone's hardware...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The price tag is worrying, I'm afraid this might end up being a commercial failure.
    Of course I suppose there is a reason behind it, but still: It's largely in the range of high-end smartphones and that one has no feature of one.
    I suppose people who have the money and is very sick of Android/iOS, or just a very hardcore fan of FOSS would consider it, but not really anybody else.

Comment

Originally posted by AsuMagic View Post
      The price tag is worrying, I'm afraid this might end up being a commercial failure.
      I'm almost sure it will be. It's almost as overpriced as Apple phones. Disgusting.

Comment

I suppose people who have the money and is very sick of Android/iOS, or just a very hardcore fan of FOSS would consider it, but not really anybody else.
        I think so, too. I already had an Openmoko, a Nokia N900 maemo and the Ubuntu BQ phone. Out of those 3, only the N900 was a device you could actually use. And all of them were much cheaper, so I think I'm skipping this one.

Comment

I don't think its overpriced. They had to develop OS and libhandy and everything.
          Also, librem > pinephone

Comment

Of course I suppose there is a reason behind it, but still: It's largely in the range of high-end smartphones and that one has no feature of one.
            yeah, development cost contribute to a price tag, ...

Comment

And the tinfoil hatters. With any luck some firm that got stung a few times over corporate espionage would buy a few for their employees. No telling with those guys.

Comment

I'm pretty sure that was their target from the start.

It's impossible to compete with heavily mass-produced hardware

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Felipe View Post

I'm almost sure it will be. It's almost as overpriced as Apple phones. Disgusting.
                  It's not overpriced, this is normal price for high tech hardware produced in low quantities.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                    Freedom and Privacy is not free. In this case it comes with a low cost. Well done Purism.
                    I wouldn't say "low cost". It's certainly "low enough to be sold to consumers", which is already better than expected, but it's not cheap.

Comment

Working...
                    X