Valve Funded Development Of Xrdesktop - Lets GNOME & KDE Work In VR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Funded Development Of Xrdesktop - Lets GNOME & KDE Work In VR

Phoronix: Valve Funded Development Of Xrdesktop - Lets GNOME & KDE Work In VR

Following the release of OpenXR 1.0, Collabora has announced the release of Xrdesktop, which was funded by Valve...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

To say it in GNOME terms:

"A normal user doesn't know what VR is"

Comment

Impressive! Now we also need OpenHMD support for Index.

Comment

Xrdesktop.... should be in the top 10 for "worst name choice" this year.

(people live in very very very small tiny boxes)

Comment

I want 4k AR where I can pin my virtual 2d desktop to a real surface/wall.

Comment

The amount of resources Valve is pouring to improve the Linux ecosystem is insane.

They've hired / are funding / have funded GPU driver developers, DXVK, Proton (Wine) developers (CodeWeavers), Keith Packard to work on direct display extensions, they funded LunarG's work on the Vulkan ecosystem, work on improving KWin.. They've ported Steam, all their games, their VR platform to Linux. They've open-sourced projects to help other game developers develop on Linux (toGL, VOGL etc.). Great stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by nsneck View Post
              The amount of resources Valve is pouring to improve the Linux ecosystem is insane.

They've hired / are funding / have funded GPU driver developers, DXVK, Proton (Wine) developers (CodeWeavers), Keith Packard to work on direct display extensions, they funded LunarG's work on the Vulkan ecosystem, work on improving KWin.. They've ported Steam, all their games, their VR platform to Linux. They've open-sourced projects to help other game developers develop on Linux (toGL, VOGL etc.). Great stuff.
              I keep asking myself WHY.

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post
                To say it in GNOME terms:

"A normal user doesn't know what VR is"
                I bet IBM just doesn't want to see GNU/Linux VR take off.

Comment

Originally posted by kokoko3k View Post

Dunno, but I keep buying games from them, whatever they are planning is long term, it is big, it is good for penguins, and outright cool.

Comment

Originally posted by kokoko3k View Post

It could be spite. Keep in mind that the company was founded by former Microsoft employees.

Comment

Working...
                    X