Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Zen 2 Performance Looking Even Better With GCC 10

Phoronix: AMD Zen 2 Performance Looking Even Better With GCC 10

While this year's GCC 9 compiler release brought initial support for AMD Zen 2 processors with the Znver2 target, the support was sadly incomplete. While the GCC 9 support added some of the new instructions, it wasn't complete (such as RDPRU support remains missing) and the cost tables and scheduler model were not updated from Znver1 to account for the microarchitectural changes. Thankfully, SUSE's compiler experts recently fixed up this support for the GCC 10 compiler and more recently were able to get it back-ported for the upcoming GCC 9.2 for the Linux distributions that will upgrade to that point release. Here are some benchmarks looking at the performance impact of that updated AMD Zen 2 compiler code.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

yay, now they only need to sell me the 16-core Ryzen 9 3950x SKU for my last year Ryzen build ;-) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZNvj67PAEc

Comment

Michael

Would it be possible to create several smaller, topic-related spiderweb graphs instead of one large graph?

Perhaps Compilation graphs, Image-related graphs, Scientific Computing graphs, Video-encoding graphs, Compression-related graphs etc.?

Comment

I didn't see AOM AV1 other than in the geometric mean.

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
          yay, now they only need to sell me the 16-core Ryzen 9 3950x SKU for my last year Ryzen build ;-) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZNvj67PAEc
          Nice,
          First thing I noticed.. the anxiety to open and build it!!

Second thing.. Nice 9 minutes to build..
          My Xeon L5430( 10€ on ebay ), makes a complete aarch64 Cross Build in around 10-13 Minutes..

Your Setup is very tinny, very nice( but that bulb lights..seems you are in a trance party.. ),
          Is there a possibility to disable the leds?

Any Way, very nice setup..
          PS: that memories are very nice, and I also own an eye on them for another setup..

Comment

Nice to see zen2, optimisations landing..
            Its a good sign..that AMD is committed to make it happen!

Comment

Originally posted by ermo View Post
              Michael

Would it be possible to create several smaller, topic-related spiderweb graphs instead of one large graph?

Perhaps Compilation graphs, Image-related graphs, Scientific Computing graphs, Video-encoding graphs, Compression-related graphs etc.?
              Or a spiderweb graph with the compiled values of the topics compilation, image-related, ...

Comment

I haven't done this in a while, do the fancy CPUs work without any thermal paste?

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                  https://www.techpowerup.com/248560/a...st-not-exposed

"AMD "Zen" Does Support FMA4, Just Not Exposed"

This GCC znver2 target compiler optimization is possible because AMD does have some nice Shadow ISA like the FMA4... shadow ISA because the CPU claims he only supports FMA3... but the FMA4 code works.
                  There are reports of FMA4 being broken in Zen, can't remember if anyone confirmed this.

Not many reasons to adopt it anyway, since Intel still largely dictates which extensions are relevant. They (begrudingly) adopted AMD64 back in the Athlon 64 days because it was just too convenient.

Comment

Originally posted by andreano View Post
                    I didn't see AOM AV1 other than in the geometric mean.
                    I didn't include every single benchmark run (60+ of them) but at the end of the article is the link to OpenBenchmarking.org with all the data. In the case of AOM AV1, I didn't include it alone since while it increased was still sub-1FPS.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X