Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon Vulkan Driver Now Supports Wave32 Support For More Shaders

Phoronix: Radeon Vulkan Driver Now Supports Wave32 Support For More Shaders

Earlier this week the Mesa Radeon Vulkan driver "RADV" added support for Wave32 with compute shaders on the new Navi graphics processors. That RADV Wave32 support has now been extended for more shader types...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Will parts of this eventually be usable on older cards? Due to the different SIMD widths they obviously can't be the same, but could the 64-thread wide cards use a 32-thread-wide mode with a different SIMD method so GCN and RDNA would be, what's the right term, more similar acting? I have no idea how that stuff works so forgive me if those are very stupid questions.

Since the article mentions Mesa and features, been using Mesa with the ACO patches for the past week and Hitman 2 has been playing great with it and Proton 4.2 & 4.2-based TKG builds. With my 580 I notice next to no shader compile lag at the start of levels and it's really smooth almost all the time. RADV and AMDVLK are also smooth once all the shaders are generated, but the lag when shader generation occurs is very noticeable and at minimal annoying, at maximum game breaking. I haven't seen the point in running a benchmark yet...it looks and plays great so I've been playing my game

Hopefully ACO will be added to Mesa in the form of an environment variable &/or per game profile at the driver level.

Oh, I've only really played KSP and Hitman 2 this week and they both played perfect; fired up Kingdom Come to test that Proton 4.11 controller issue I've had with Hitman 2 (Kingdom Come seemed to work fine but didn't like anything set over high in the graphics settings; don't want to say more than that since I only button mashed the first conversation and walked around that shack ).

Now I'm curious if KSP + DXVK + ACO works or "feels" better than Linux KSP with OpenGL.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
      Will parts of this eventually be usable on older cards? Due to the different SIMD widths they obviously can't be the same, but could the 64-thread wide cards use a 32-thread-wide mode with a different SIMD method so GCN and RDNA would be, what's the right term, more similar acting? I have no idea how that stuff works so forgive me if those are very stupid questions.
      No, the HW is really not configurable that way. Furthermore, even if we succeeded only enabling 32 lanes out of 64 in a shader, the instructions don't take half the time and the registers are not holf the size, so you're not really getting the benefits.

Comment

Why does it need environment variable, is it still unstable?

Comment

They've done pretty good job with the initial bring up for navi

all I have left on my 5700XT is the Rise of the Tomb Raider hard crash and this font corruption in Overwatch https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=111248

good on all the mesa devs

Comment

Working...
          X