Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mir 1.4 Released With Fix For GTK3, Support For Exclusive Zones

Phoronix: Mir 1.4 Released With Fix For GTK3, Support For Exclusive Zones

The Canonical team led by Alan Griffiths for maintaining the Mir display server with Wayland support today rolled out Mir version 1.4...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

There's a blogpost here:
    Mir 1.4.0 Release We’re pleased to announce the release of Mir 1.4.0. For Ubuntu, Mir is available from the Mir PPAs. It is also available as a source tarball. Wayland layer-shell This release is mostly about supportin…

Comment

I'm sorry but could somebody explain to me what project actually uses Mir and why we need it? Isn't it something similar like wlroots now?

All I am reading about it is that they make some improvements, but I don't know of anyone using it, so what is the point?

And I don't mean to sound critical about the project, I am genuinely curious.
      Last edited by Nuc!eoN; 13 August 2019, 12:31 PM.

Comment

@NucleoN, the nuclear powered eevee evolution.

Wlroots is a library to assist in writing a wayland compatible compositor.

Mir is a wayland compatible compositor.

Comment

Mind boggled that Mir is turning into a thing that might actually be useful, depending on performance. In my opinion both gnome and KDE are bloated and nearly unusable, and have had performance issues with XFCE as well. It would be awesome if the Mate desktop could be rebased on a high performance Wayland compositor....

Comment

Working...
          X