NVIDIA 435.17 Linux Beta Driver Adds Vulkan + OpenGL PRIME Render Offload

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA 435.17 Linux Beta Driver Adds Vulkan + OpenGL PRIME Render Offload

Phoronix: NVIDIA 435.17 Linux Beta Driver Adds Vulkan + OpenGL PRIME Render Offload

NVIDIA this morning introduced their 435 Linux driver series currently in beta form with the release of the 435.17 Linux build. With this new driver comes finally the best PRIME/multi-GPU support they have presented to date...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm wondering how the support is in this case for notebooks that have their external display outputs hard wired to the Nvidia chip.

In the case where you use the internal Intel graphics card for rendering display on the laptop screen, but rendering on your external screens is required to be done by the Nvidia chip as it's hardwired, as I'm currently still stuck to xf86-video-intel because of this.

Comment

This is something that I would've been happy to see some 10 years ago when I still had a laptop with an NVidia GPU.

Spoiler alert: I haven't bought any NVidia hardware since then...

Comment

With this new driver comes finally the best PRIME/multi-GPU support they have presented to date.
        It's taken far too long, but there is finally a light at the end of the tunnel for this optimus laptop, as well as another one I manage for a family member.

I'm very much looking forward to utilizing these to the best of their ability. I'm not a fan of throwing away perfectly good computers just because better hardware exists.

Seems like Nvidia has been stepping up their game on the Linux side recently. I'm loving seeing this increased competition in the Linux space.
        Last edited by lectrode; 13 August 2019, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Thank God. Tired of getting these optimus questions. Hopefully "It just works". It's fucking cancer.

Comment

Too bad they dropped support for my GPU

Comment

Yes, cannot wait to try this out on a Razer laptop soon!

Comment

Originally posted by Venemo View Post
                This is something that I would've been happy to see some 10 years ago when I still had a laptop with an NVidia GPU.

Spoiler alert: I haven't bought any NVidia hardware since then...
                You couldn't even sanely have two OpenGL drivers installed 10 years ago.

Comment

Nvidia is feeling the heat of competition and their own investors.

Comment

It's about damn time. It's been seven years since Linus gave them the finger.

Originally posted by nvaert1986 View Post
                    I'm wondering how the support is in this case for notebooks that have their external display outputs hard wired to the Nvidia chip.

In the case where you use the internal Intel graphics card for rendering display on the laptop screen, but rendering on your external screens is required to be done by the Nvidia chip as it's hardwired, as I'm currently still stuck to xf86-video-intel because of this.
                    In that case you'll have to run X on the Nvidia GPU, and use display offload onto the Intel GPU for the internal display (reverse prime).

Comment

Working...
                    X