Reiser4 File-System Port Updated For The Linux 5.1 + Linux 5.2 Kernels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reiser4 File-System Port Updated For The Linux 5.1 + Linux 5.2 Kernels

Phoronix: Reiser4 File-System Port Updated For The Linux 5.1 + Linux 5.2 Kernels

Up until today the newest Linux kernel version supported by the official Reiser4 out-of-tree file-system driver patch was Linux 5.0, but that has now changed with the belated Linux 5.1 kernel support arriving as well as a separate patch for Linux 5.2 kernel support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's about time for a MurderFS article. Was wondering when one would appear.

Comment

Maybe I'm just being anal, but since this is copy/pasted from the patch:

Code:
      linux-5.2.8/Documentation/filesystems/reiser4.txt
      then perhaps the README should be updated to say 5.2.x and tested with up to 5.2.8.

Comment

Reiser4 these days also faces as much competition as ever from the likes of Btrfs, F2FS, Bcachefs, and ZFS On Linux.
        Yeah. However, I heard that Reiser4 is a killer file-system.

Comment

How predictable it is that every time Phoronix publishes an article talking about Reiser4, the posts talk about murder.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
            How predictable it is that every time Phoronix publishes an article talking about Reiser4, the posts talk about murder.
            FWIW, I talked about anal.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

FWIW, I talked about anal.
              never the twain shall meet.

Comment

Considering he's far more famous (or should I say infamous) for uxoricide than his coding it's hardly a surprise and very predictable.

Comment

The more interesting question is: Who would want to use a filesystem, where you are constantly reminded that it is the brain-child of an infamous convicted woman-killer?

If the file system is ever to be judged by its technical merits alone, the remaining developers should at least have the common sense to rename it to something else...
                  Otherwise it is best left forgotten.

Comment

I loved reiser 3, but we had so many corruption problems and lockups with reiser4, it has the same state as btrfs here: "might be very good, but past experiences are hard to forget". So we moved to ext3.
                    To be honest: jfs, xfs, reiser4 and btrfs all gave me bad memories. Bugs in ext4 only lead to lock-ups, never to data loss or data corruption in my experiences.

Comment

Working...
                    X