A Script Making It Easier Turning A FreeBSD Install Into A Working Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Script Making It Easier Turning A FreeBSD Install Into A Working Desktop

Phoronix: A Script Making It Easier Turning A FreeBSD Install Into A Working Desktop

With TrueOS (formerly PC-BSD) no longer focused on delivering a quality BSD desktop as they once did, while there still are options out there for a desktop-focused BSD like MidnightBSD, for those wanting to use a vanilla FreeBSD installation can now setup a desktop easier using a new script...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wait. GNOME on FreeBSD?

Also, typo:
    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    while all defaulting to the SSDM display manager.
    Also, second typo: can find it via <a hrf=

See below
    Last edited by tildearrow; 14 August 2019, 02:27 AM.

Comment

Those wanting to try out this script to deploy a FreeBSD desktop easier can find it via Adriaan's blog.
      The link doesn't work..

Comment

Pardon my French but who gives a crap about FreeBSD or any Unix at this stage?
        I believe those that don't see the point of using linux over FreeBSD or said Unix. If it works for them who cares what they use?

Comment

GhostBSD is also an option. No scripts needed to get a working desktop with a GUI right out of the gate:

Comment

Some considerable time ago I wrote up instructions on how to set up a FreeBSD machine with the latest KDE Plasma Desktop. Those instructions, while fairly short (set up X, install the KDE meta-port, .. and that’s it) are a bit fiddly.

FreeBSD (new) Committers Tools. Contribute to adriaandegroot/FreeBSDTools development by creating an account on GitHub.

Comment

Originally posted by msotirov
              Pardon my French but who gives a crap about FreeBSD or any Unix at this stage? Besides banks running 40 year old Fortran codebases that is. I'm genuinely curious.
              I run a server and a freenas. Does everything Linux can do. Plus, competition is always good.

Comment

Originally posted by cen1 View Post

I run a server and a freenas. Does everything Linux can do. Plus, competition is always good.
                I think he was talking about Desktops..

Comment

Originally posted by Wojcian View Post

I think he was talking about Desktops..
                  Yeah, fair enough. I don't see any compeling reasons to run FreeBSD desktop.

Comment

I sometimes run FreeBSD desktop machines - basically, it works fine and I'm just used to the OS. It's not quite as polished and integrated as a modern Linux desktop (since some of the DE functionality has not been ported over to use the equivalent BSD interfaces), but it's also more comfortably conservative: No weird surprises from whatever Cool New Thing has migrated in from Redhat (or Canonical) this week.

If you, like me, mostly want a place where you can work in a text editor with a working browser (and sound and networking and an accelerated composited desktop), it's fine, almost boring. I'd suggest Linux on a laptop, though - or OpenBSD, they have apparently put in a surprising amount of work there.

Comment

Working...
                    X