Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building The Default x86_64 Linux Kernel In Just 16 Seconds

Phoronix: Building The Default x86_64 Linux Kernel In Just 16 Seconds

It's now been one week since the launch of AMD's EPYC Rome processors with up to 64 cores / 128 threads per socket and better IPC uplift compared to their previous-generation parts. Rome has outperformed Intel Xeon Scalable CPUs in their class while offering better power efficiency and way better performance-per-dollar. One of my favorite metrics has been how quickly the new EPYC 7742 2P can build the Linux kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

For fun on the weekend I intend to see how much lower I can get the kernel build time using a RAID setup as I/O appears to be the bottleneck at this point. Anyhow, 15~16 seconds for the Linux defconfig build is crazy.
    What about building in tmpfs? ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

What about building in tmpfs? ;-)
      came here to ask the exact same thing!

Now that you are getting down to tiny build times Michael maybe it is time to start building with something like "allyesconfig" or X86_64 *and* cross compile for RISC-V/ARM.

I also wonder how long such a server would take to compile fedora's repo? or a BSD or something.

Comment

Now you can checkout the Linux master branch, compile the kernel and kexec into it from initrd. All while still booting faster than many systems.
        Rolling release was yesterday, now it's run-from-source!

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post
          Now you can checkout the Linux master branch, compile the kernel and kexec into it from initrd. All while still booting faster than many systems.
          I'm almost certain there is like a category of languages which do something like that... What's the name again?

Comment

Originally posted by AsuMagic View Post
            I'm almost certain there is like a category of languages which do something like that... What's the name again?
            Binaries! You edit their source in a Hexeditor.

Comment

Optane vs tmpfs would be REALLY interesting to see!
              ## VGA ##
              AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
              Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

And redirect all outputs to /dev/null or a file on tmpfs

Comment

Has anyone tried that with a last-generation Xeon Phi? 72 relatively slow cores but 4 threads per core and 16 GB of HBM should give some interesting results.

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post
                    tcc was able to boot from the linux source about 15 years ago: https://bellard.org/tcc/tccboot.html

Comment

Working...
                    X