Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clear Linux Rolls Out Revamped Documentation

Phoronix: Clear Linux Rolls Out Revamped Documentation

While Arch Linux remains the gold standard for quality Linux documentation, Intel's Clear Linux has rolled out a new documentation web-site to assist new/existing users in making use of this performance-optimized and security-oriented Linux operating system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I don't use Arch or Gentoo myself, but love their exceptional documentation. An excellent knowledge base for the Linux community as a whole especially when documentation is often an after-thought to non-existent.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post

While Arch Linux remains the gold standard for quality Linux documentation
      Ugh, its a Wiki! Don't get me wrong, it is quite effective and a wiki works well as a way to keep up with Linux's mutation. However I more see that as a problem with Linux.

I much prefer the FreeBSD handbook and to some extent the Gentoo Handbook. I think I prefer documentation that is set in stone (just like I prefer to deal with an OS that is set in stone).

So far Clear Linux's docs look nice. They do look a little random and sporadic (a little like Debian's or Fedora's) but that could be because the project is young.

It is also a little bit "cloud / container" based but some of it is very well documented; such as VNC (https://docs.01.org/clearlinux/lates...d-on-your-host). The Wayland kids might want to look away now because they wont really get a decent VNC multi-session solution for another 20 years (once XOrg replaces Wayland again)
      Last edited by kpedersen; 15 August 2019, 05:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

Ugh, its a Wiki! Don't get me wrong, it is quite effective and a wiki works well as a way to keep up with Linux's mutation. However I more see that as a problem with Linux.

I much prefer the FreeBSD handbook and to some extent the Gentoo Handbook. I think I prefer documentation that is set in stone (just like I prefer to deal with an OS that is set in stone).
        What would it look like, having the documentation for a rolling distro be set in stone?

Comment

Linux is not an OS. Are you talking about kernel documentation?

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
            Phoronix: Clear Linux Rolls Out Revamped Documentation

Arch Linux remains the gold standard for quality Linux documentation

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-Documentation

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

Linux is not an OS. Are you talking about kernel documentation?
              Of course I meant Systemd (with a Linux kernel).

Originally posted by jo-erlend View Post

What would it look like, having the documentation for a rolling distro be set in stone?
              Rolling distros are more for hobbiests, I guess I am purely discussing stable distros or those with conventional snapshots. The software should have a matching version of the documentation suited to it.
              Last edited by kpedersen; 15 August 2019, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jo-erlend View Post

Comment

Of course I meant Systemd (with a Linux kernel).
                  That's more like it.

Comment

Working...
                  X