Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Ryzen 5 3600X Linux Performance

Phoronix: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X Linux Performance

Now that the new AMD Ryzen 3000 series are running great with the latest Linux distributions following prominent motherboard vendors issuing BIOS updates that correct the "RdRand" issue, we're moving on with looking at the performance of the rest of the Ryzen 3000 series line-up while having freshly re-tested the processors under Ubuntu 19.04. Up for exploration today is the AMD Ryzen 5 3600X, the six-core / 12-thread processor retailing for about $250 USD.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It would have been interesting to include the 8700K in this review to compare 6 core/12 thread processing directly. The 8700k is going for ~$370 nowadays, so it would be interesting to see how much the extra $120 is worth.

Comment

It's astonishing how close this comes to 9900k (not to mention it beats it in some benchmarks). However, the 3600X is still a bad buy. Simply because the 3600 does everything 3600X does, but is 25% cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
        It's astonishing how close this comes to 9900k (not to mention it beats it in some benchmarks). However, the 3600X is still a bad buy. Simply because the 3600 does everything 3600X does, but is 25% cheaper.
        Ryzen 5 3600 is amazing value for money, I use it for office and simple gaming PCs

Comment

Formally speaking, they aren't BIOS updates, but firmware updates (UEFI more precisely). BIOS hasn't been used in motherboards for quite some time already.

Comment

actually came out slightly ahead of the Ryzen 7 2600X.
            Should be 2700X. Speaking of which, it feels like I just bought mine, but the 3000 series looks like a nice improvement, especially per/watt. I could use 40 less watts in my desktop case, but I'm not sure that's worth the added price :/

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
              Formally speaking, they aren't BIOS updates, but firmware updates (UEFI more precisely). BIOS hasn't been used in motherboards for quite some time already.
              ASUS calls it a UEFI BIOS. Right on the splash screen.

Comment

Originally posted by Zan Lynx View Post

ASUS calls it a UEFI BIOS. Right on the splash screen.
                Not very correct then BIOS explicitly refers to legacy case, while the general term for it all is simply "motherboard firmware".

BIOS (/ˈbaɪɒs/ BY-oss; an acronym for Basic Input/Output System and also known as the System BIOS, ROM BIOS or PC BIOS) is non-volatile firmware used to perform hardware initialization during the booting process (power-on startup), and to provide runtime services for operating systems and programs.
                <...>
                Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) is a successor to the legacy PC BIOS, aiming to address its technical shortcomings.
                So while some are still calling it BIOS out of habit, it's better to use the general term.
                Last edited by shmerl; 18 August 2019, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Pretty impressive. AMD managing to win a few on a wattage basisvis perhaps the most interesting result here. Pretty much removes most arguments for buying Intel.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                    Well those are MSRP... and ya its hard to justify if it really is 25% more expensive. But its not really. I just bought a 3600x and its the best CPU I have ever owned no doubt. I haven't noticed this much of a bump from an upgrade since probably Thunderbird days. Where I am in Canada the 3600 goes for $280 pretty much everywhere... and most places list the 3600x at $340 which I agree isn't a great deal. I got mine from a local shop that was happy to match a online sale price + the difference and I walked out with a 3600x for $305. For 25 bucks I 100% skipped the silicon lottery. That is basically what the X parts are... AMD is very good at binning their parts.

I do agree though at 340 I would have went 3600 and spent a bit on a better cooler. Running things on the stock wraith spire and its decent enough I might not even bother changing it out. In which case I guess I got a better deal going x. No way that stock 3600 cooler would have stuck around.

Comment

Working...
                    X