Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NetBSD Sees Its First Wayland Application Running

Phoronix: NetBSD Sees Its First Wayland Application Running

Wayland support is inching ahead on NetBSD for this secure, modern next-generation successor to running an X.Org Server...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is a sad moment. A staple of U*IX is dying in front of my eyes, and a reason I really love using the GNU operating system is vanishing in front of my eyes. Wayland doesn't assume it's running on a workstation where flexibility is quite important, it's built with lowest common denominator in mind, and has some insane design decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
      This is a sad moment. A staple of U*IX is dying in front of my eyes, and a reason I really love using the GNU operating system is vanishing in front of my eyes. Wayland doesn't assume it's running on a workstation where flexibility is quite important, it's built with lowest common denominator in mind, and has some insane design decisions.
      Try to think of Wayland as just another re-implementation of the Xorg, Xfree86, Xsun backends, not the X11 protocol itself or what developers will "target".
      Lots of the Wayland kids are running GUI software directly on it for a bit of fun (like you can do with svgalib) but in the future we will still see a remote protocol (i.e X11 or hopefully X12) ontop of it in a manner similar to Xweston (Xorg) or Xwayland (Xnest,Xephyr).

This is for the simple fact that modern operating systems need to have network aware GUI systems. As "chatty" as X11 is, all the components using Xlib or XCB underneath know how to send across a network; Wayland Compositors only deal with the raw raster and VNC is simply not a solution.

Myself, I will never need to run a Wayland compositor; I am simply waiting until Xorg is refactored to run with Wayland as a backend (of which there are performance advantages).
      Last edited by kpedersen; 19 August 2019, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
        and has some insane design decisions.
        so does X.org/X11, so I imagine you will get used to it.

Comment

Wayland is almost there on Linux:
          2021 - All Chromium Wayland bugs get fixed.
          2023 - All Firefox Wayland bugs get fixed.
          2027 - Nvidia's proprietary driver has no Wayland bugs.
          2030 - There's now one AMD driver on Linux that has no Wayland bugs.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
            This is for the simple fact that modern operating systems need to have network aware GUI systems.
            and we have one, it's called web
            As "chatty" as X11 is, all the components using Xlib or XCB underneath know how to send across a network;
            what framerate your "xlib-using" quake 3 over network shows?
            Myself, I will never need to run a Wayland compositor; I am simply waiting until Xorg is refactored to run with Wayland as a backend (of which there are performance advantages).
            and who is going to do refactoring? ex-x11 devs who are working on wayland, or clueless forum commentators?

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
              Wayland is almost there on Linux:
              2021 - All Chromium Wayland bugs get fixed.
              2023 - All Firefox Wayland bugs get fixed.
              2027 - Nvidia's proprietary driver has no Wayland bugs.
              2030 - There's now one AMD driver on Linux that has no Wayland bugs.
              still sooner than all x11 bugs are fixed

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                still sooner than all x11 bugs are fixed
                Yeah but the point is Nvidia/Firefox/Chromium run and run well on X11, and they can't run at all on Wayland (and I'm talking default status, not what you can tweak by building yourself).

Comment

Yeah but the point is Nvidia/Firefox/Chromium run and run well on X11
                  nothing runs well on x11
                  , and they can't run at all on Wayland
                  first is your punishment for sponsoring most linux-hostile vendor. two others run well on wayland via xwayland and that is their default status

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                    first is your punishment for sponsoring most linux-hostile vendor. two others run well on wayland via xwayland and that is their default status
                    No. I run it because Intel's GPU sucks and AMD at the time (and probably still now) didn't have an open source driver that had all the important features. And I plan on buying a new NVIDIA GPU if AMD is still providing 2 drivers.

Comment

Working...
                    X