Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debian Guts Support For Old MIPS CPUs

Phoronix: Debian Guts Support For Old MIPS CPUs

As a change that will affect Debian 11 "Bullseye" but not the current Debian 10 "Buster" or older is the distribution's decision to remove the old MIPS architecture...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Both MIPS users are left in tears

Comment

...or rene will help them with T2 Linux.

Comment

Heh, I will miss it though. Not that I ever had a such a CPU, but I used with QEMU to check big-endian code worked. So much simpler when you could just use the same distro in a different (emulated) multi-arch.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post
          Heh, I will miss it though. Not that I ever had a such a CPU, but I used with QEMU to check big-endian code worked. So much simpler when you could just use the same distro in a different (emulated) multi-arch.
          Except, if all BE architectures go extinct, then there will be no need to check if they work. I'm looking forward to this.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
            Both MIPS users are left in tears
            Indeed..

Even more,
            Now that MIPS is again, a Silicon Valley based company with a very up to date rich instruction set..

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
              Except, if all BE architectures go extinct, then there will be no need to check if they work. I'm looking forward to this.
              Yeah, I guess so. I just like my code to correct and architecture neutral

Comment

You still need to support the hardware/Software stacks for a couple of years..

And mips be is still used a lot at least in Network centred appliances and such,
                Even tough that they probably don't use debian directly, is known that a large amount of small equipment's Linux based have its root( for one way or another ) in debian..

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post
                  Yeah, I guess so. I just like my code to correct and architecture neutral
                  I don't go out of my way to make it endian-dependent, but it's a pernicious issue with imaging code, as larger words are often used to access packed pixels.

Comment

Why? There are inherent advantages to BE (e.g. imaging, networking). Quite frankly I'm not sure why LE is even still used, it should have gone extinct long ago.

Comment

Working...
                    X