The Linux Foundation, Intel & Co Form The Confidential Computing Consortium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Linux Foundation, Intel & Co Form The Confidential Computing Consortium

Phoronix: The Linux Foundation, Intel & Co Form The Confidential Computing Consortium

In kicking off the Open Source Summit that has returned to San Diego, the Linux Foundation has announced the formation of the Confidential Computing Consortium in collaboration with Intel and other companies...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow! that name for this, and its goals and those companies being behind it. This must be one big joke.

Comment

Originally posted by Panda_Wrist View Post
      Wow! that name for this, and its goals and those companies being behind it. This must be one big joke.
      No. The point of the project is to lead all of these companies into one big room, lock the door and set fire to the building!

Some of these non-ethical companies much simply be joining to keep their finger on the pulse and always be one step ahead of privacy schemes. Kind of similar to the innovation killers (such as Valve) in the OpenXR foundation.

Comment

One big joke - maybe - but I would doubt the involved companies would get it.
        CCC is also nice in this context - as it's for more than 30 years now the well known German Chaos Computer Club.
        But maybe this was done after a thorough recherche and absolutely on purpose - as Microsoft is on board and can give plenty of experiences with embrace and extent.

Comment

With RISC-V you have an open instruction set.

Intel and AMD have binary blobs all over, proprietary microarchitecture built upon a proprietary architecture built upon a proprietary instruction set architecture. Added with proprietary firmware, proprietary BIOS, proprietary UEFI and built-in a proprietary ARC co-processor running a full-blown UNIX operating system. With System Management Mode (SMM), Intel Active Management Technology (AMT), Intel Management Engine (ME), AMD Platform Security Processor and proprietary Firmware Support Package (FSP) / Board Support Package (BSP).
          It is a obscure security nightmare.

Comment

This consortium will focus on providing greater transparency and control over user data..
            NSA v2.0?

I don't know what to think..but one thing is true...I am scared.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              With RISC-V you have an open instruction set.

Intel and AMD have binary blobs all over, proprietary microarchitecture built upon a proprietary architecture..
              That is true and I am against it..

But please,
              Until proven otherwise, don't include AMD in the Same BAG, has Intel, please..

Even tough that AMD , have done it *NOT* for ethical Reasons..
              It was AMD that "set you free" of the Itanium( Or HP EPIC ) Vendor Lock In, and another threats..

So even tough, that that agesa is not transparent( and I don't like it.. ),
              I still take AMD in much consideration than Intel.

Comment

Notice AMD is missing. This is probably an effort spearheaded by Intel to slow down AMD moving into the server cloud market.

Perhaps now is a good time to mention Dell Optiplex dropping AMD recently.
                Last edited by xorbe; 21 August 2019, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Yet another useless consortium

Comment

This consortium will focus on providing greater transparency and control over user data, reduce exposure to sensitive data, and other protections by means of open-source tooling and hardware advancements around trusted execution environments.
                    Alibaba, Arm, Baidu, Google Cloud, IBM, Intel, Microsoft, Red Hat, Swisscom, and Tencent.
                    With the possible exception of Red Hat, I don't think any of the others appears in anyone's mind when you talk about transparency.

Comment

Working...
                    X