Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Ryzen 5 3400G Is Working Well On Linux

Phoronix: AMD Ryzen 5 3400G Is Working Well On Linux

AMD Raven Ridge APUs were a rough launch particularly on Linux where even with the latest motherboard BIOS updates and Linux kernel I am still hitting occasional stability issues, so when the opportunity arose recently to try out the Ryzen 5 3400G as the successor in the Picasso family, I was interested. Fortunately, AMD Picasso APUs have proven to be in better shape on Linux so here is the initial round of performance tests for those interested in the AMD Linux performance on Ubuntu.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Possible typo:

The Blender 2.80 performance on the Ryzen 5 2400G when running on the 4c/8t APU is slightly ahead of the Ryzen 5 2400G.
    Last edited by bridgman; 23 August 2019, 09:46 AM.
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      Possible typo:
      Fixed thanks.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

What is the maximum resolution of AMD Ryzen 5 3400G?
        Is it still chipset limited or will there be DSC work for it - like there is ongoing Navi work to get 8k ready?
        Would Navi be able to support DSC - or is it just intended to not compete in this segment?

Comment

Michael now that the APU are running stable, any Vulkan tests planned?

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
            Michael now that the APU are running stable, any Vulkan tests planned?
            Yeah my Steam account was just busy benchmarking other hardware at the time, will have a gaming article up soon.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Very interesting results. I really like theGPU performance of AMDs chips as it leads to a very nice GUI experience. In fact I prefer that experience over Intel’s solution even with slightly slower CPUs.

The bad bad news is that being a Raven Ridge owner I’m very disappointed with the state of Linux on this chip set. Every kernel update / graphics update is a gamble and the last one from Fedora has made the machine particularly unstable. When buying the machine I expected a few months of ironing out but honestly this has become a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
                Very interesting results. I really like theGPU performance of AMDs chips as it leads to a very nice GUI experience. In fact I prefer that experience over Intel’s solution even with slightly slower CPUs.

The bad bad news is that being a Raven Ridge owner I’m very disappointed with the state of Linux on this chip set. Every kernel update / graphics update is a gamble and the last one from Fedora has made the machine particularly unstable. When buying the machine I expected a few months of ironing out but honestly this has become a joke.
                I wonder if AMD did something with their later processors, mine has been very stable but I bought it in late April 2018 and put it on a x370 chipset.

The only issue I run into is playing graphic memory hungry games such as FarCry Primal or GTA IV, I run out of graphic RAM and the game crashes. I almost never have GPU hangs (any more) and my 2400g is serving me well as my main system. (Mageia 7)

Comment

I never understood why only these low-end AMD products get an integrated GPU. It'd be nice if the high end variants also had one.

Comment

Originally posted by Venemo View Post
                    I never understood why only these low-end AMD products get an integrated GPU. It'd be nice if the high end variants also had one.
                    Die space. Space that is taken up for GPU cores is space that could be used for CPU cores.

Comment

Working...
                    X