Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fairphone 3 Pre-Orders Begin For Ethical Smartphone With Better Specs Than The Librem 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fairphone 3 Pre-Orders Begin For Ethical Smartphone With Better Specs Than The Librem 5

Phoronix: Fairphone 3 Pre-Orders Begin For Ethical Smartphone With Better Specs Than The Librem 5

The Fairphone 3 made its formal announcement this week with pre-orders beginning and plans to begin shipping in mid-October. The Fairphone 3 is the latest iteration for this phone design that is focused on social values / ethical manufacturing, the longevity of the phone, and modular replacement parts...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

No LTE B28, shame.
    Though my xiaomi mi 5s battery replacement is starting to die and there are no official replacement parts. If I *have* to change it I'll consider this one, though the price tag is a bit high for my use...

Comment

Seems a nice option,
      But it also seems to doesn't support FM Radio??

Another problem..android...
      The world is full of android devices...

I was expecting also a alternative OS 100% fully-supported..
      The Ideal, for me, would be a 100% SailfishOS, second option..

Comment

If the actual goal this different phone developers try to achieve with their projects is so completely beyond you that you have to judge them on the hardware performance alone, then why don't you just include some off-the-shelf smartphone that beats them all? That would make the point as well, wouldn't it?

I can already tell you that those articles will not age well, like the ones of the Librem crowd funding campaign. Why the constant need to troll that project? Is this just a cheap trick to get more clicks. Pretty desperate.

I for one will not buy the Fairphone as it doesn't even try to address the actual problems in terms of privacy issues with todays smartphones.
        Last edited by ZeroPointEnergy; 30 August 2019, 07:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ZeroPointEnergy View Post
          If the actual goal this different phone developers try to achieve with their projects is so completely beyond you that you have to judge them on the hardware performance alone, then why don't you just include some off-the-shelf smartphone that beats them all? That would make the point as well, wouldn't it?

I can already tell you that those articles will not age well, like the ones of the Librem crowd funding campaign. Why the constant need to troll that project? Is this just a cheap trick to get more clicks. Pretty desperate.

I for one will not buy the Fairphone as it doesn't even try to address the actual problems in terms of privacy issues with todays smartphones.
          Yeah because the only difference between the fairphone and "off-the-shelf smartphones" is performance, right?

Comment

Originally posted by AsuMagic View Post
            Yeah because the only difference between the fairphone and "off-the-shelf smartphones" is performance, right?
            Maybe I did not articulate myself clearly. My complain was exactly that Michael compares those phones only by performance, which isn't the point of any of those phones. They all have completely different goals.

Comment

I would love to purchase a Fairphone, I don't even care about hardware specs...but Android. Android devices cannot fully function without violating European human rights/privacy laws, so the Fairphone is only 'fair' from a ecological point of view, not so much social. It is still a very badly needed initiative though. I hope Fairphone will support postmarketOS once the upcoming PinePhone has show it to be workable. With a bit of luck, the US Huawei ban will block Huawei from licensing Android, and lead to diversification the mobile OS landscape, for that badly needed competition, and break Google's illegally acquired monopoly.

Comment

Librem 5 isn't about the performance, it's about the control of the phone by the user. Actual Adblock on a phone is worth giving up some ram/storage. The mobile web experience on the Librem will completely cream the other phones. Hell Youtube adblock is a killer app.

Comment

Originally posted by DMJC View Post
                  Librem 5 isn't about the performance, it's about the control of the phone by the user. Actual Adblock on a phone is worth giving up some ram/storage. The mobile web experience on the Librem will completely cream the other phones. Hell Youtube adblock is a killer app.
                  You can adblock on a rooted Android too, with Adaway https://f-droid.org/en/packages/org.adaway
                  It works exactly the same as most adblockers, it adds a blacklist to the system's "host file" (which is a dns lookup table) from the same freely available lists other browser-based adblockers use.

This works at system level, so all browsers and apps will not show any banner or ad.

I don't know about Youtube ads though, they are not easy to stop with just a static blacklist system. The addon I use in Desktop Firefox (Enhancer For Youtube) does run logic on the fly to detect them and remove them.

Comment

Just as a reminder, Fairphone 2 has only community port of Sailfish OS, it works great, but doesn't feature proprietary Android support.
                    And there hasn't been any official announcement about official 3rd gen support, as either Fairphone would have to pay the license or you would have to pay Jolla directly. But at least community port is likely.

Comment

Working...
                    X