Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox 69 / 70 Beta Against Chrome 76 On Ubuntu Linux

Phoronix: Firefox 69 / 70 Beta Against Chrome 76 On Ubuntu Linux

With Firefox 69 released and Firefox 70 entering beta, here are some fresh web browser benchmarks between Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome from Ubuntu Linux. On the Firefox size, Firefox 68, 69, and 70 Beta were tested with and without WebRender being enabled and compared to Google's current Chrome 76 stable release.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice.

Brave browser and locally compiled Firefox 71 (Nightly version) will probably give you a better competition against Chrome, in my experience.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
      Nice.

Brave browser and locally compiled Firefox 71 (Nightly version) will probably give you a better competition against Chrome, in my experience.
      Since Brave is Chromium-based, that shouldn't be too surprising.

Comment

Hm, only improvements on the Webrender site (although impressive!). I wonder what happened to the new baseline interpreter work. From their own benchmarks, speedometer increased heavily on speed. Michael, can you check if that new baseline interpreter was already included in the test?

Modern web applications load and execute a lot more JavaScript code than they did just a few years ago. While JIT (just-in-time) compilers have been very successful in making JavaScript ...

Comment

I’m missing a WebGL benchmark here… Firefox is dramatically losing out against Chromium in WebGL performance on Linux. It didn’t get any better over the years.

Comment

Since the webextension-based NoScript is working on Chrome/ium, I have really nothing else holding me back to Firefox.

All other extensions I need are cross-browser too, so I can freely move over now. And yes this matters because Chromium builds in OpenSUSE have hardware acceleration enabled for video, while Firefox does not.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              Since the webextension-based NoScript is working on Chrome/ium, I have really nothing else holding me back to Firefox.

All other extensions I need are cross-browser too, so I can freely move over now. And yes this matters because Chromium builds in OpenSUSE have hardware acceleration enabled for video, while Firefox does not.
              Chrom{e,ium} might soon handicap ad blockers pretty badly. Do you know how this could affect NoScript? (Re: Manifest v3)

Comment

Article could be about /r/Linux breaking down and its mods going haywire on users because of 69 jokes. More clicks, more money.

As for Firefox, it's another point release that somehow got a full version bump for whatever reason, just like anything and everything since 4.0.

Comment

WebRender it's enabled by default on Linux ?

Comment

Originally posted by onicsis View Post
                    WebRender it's enabled by default on Linux ?
                    FTA: "From an Intel Core i9 7960X workstation with Radeon RX 550 graphics running Ubuntu 19.04, the official Linux x86_64 binaries of these different Chrome/Firefox releases were tested. The Firefox runs with WebRender were forced using the MOZ_WEBRENDER environment variable."
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X