Fedora 32 Looking At Switching Firewalld From Iptables To Nftables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 32 Looking At Switching Firewalld From Iptables To Nftables

Phoronix: Fedora 32 Looking At Switching Firewalld From Iptables To Nftables

While Fedora 31 isn't even out yet, looking ahead to the Fedora 32 release next spring is a plan to switch firewalld as Fedora's default network firewall from its existing iptables back-end to the more modern nftables back-end...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Considering Fedora is normally the incubator to test changes for Red Hat Enterprise Linux, I am surprised that RHEL 8 got changed to nftables before Fedora did.

From the RHEL 8 release notes section 5.1.14:

* "nftables replaces iptables as the default network packet filtering framework"

* "firewalld uses nftables by default"

As can be found here:

Comment

Originally posted by chilinux View Post
      Considering Fedora is normally the incubator to test changes for Red Hat Enterprise Linux, I am surprised that RHEL 8 got changed to nftables before Fedora did.
      They rushed it because otherwise, they would be stuck with iptables for the whole RHEL 8 life cycle.

Comment

Nice.

It is long overdue for nftables to get some wider adoption.
        Last edited by intelfx; 11 September 2019, 03:19 AM.

Comment

Wasn't there some discussion on lkml some time ago that the future is eBPF and XDP, and that nftables is a failed experiment with little usage? And somebody had created some kind of iptables implementation that in fact compiled the rules to eBPF (bpfilter). But subsequently I've heard little of it, and it seems that distros are slowly starting to switch over to nftables. What gives?

Comment

Originally posted by jabl View Post
            Wasn't there some discussion on lkml some time ago that the future is eBPF and XDP, and that nftables is a failed experiment with little usage? And somebody had created some kind of iptables implementation that in fact compiled the rules to eBPF (bpfilter). But subsequently I've heard little of it, and it seems that distros are slowly starting to switch over to nftables. What gives?

Comment

Thanks for re-jogging my memory, I remember reading that article when it came out. Any news in the subsequent 1½ years since it was written, except that bpfilter was apparently merged for 4.18?

Comment

What happens with docker/libvirt? They still don't use nftables and you can't mix iptables and nftables rules. How did they solve this issue in RHEL8?
                Last edited by darkbasic; 11 September 2019, 04:13 AM.
                ## VGA ##
                AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                  What happens with docker/libvirt? They still don't use nftables and you can't mix iptables and nftables rules. How did they solve this issue in RHEL8?
                  You can, if you use iptables with the new -nft backend, which is the default since Debian 10 and RHEL 8.

Comment

I don't get why somebody wants to change iptables or netfilter, by some crap..
                    Last edited by tuxd3v; 11 September 2019, 09:24 AM. Reason: typos

Comment

Working...
                    X