Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA 430.50 Linux Driver Brings Color Fix For Pre-Turing GPUs

Phoronix: NVIDIA 430.50 Linux Driver Brings Color Fix For Pre-Turing GPUs

While the NVIDIA 435 series is now stable, for those sticking to the previous NVIDIA 430 driver series that is their current "long-lived" driver branch, a new version is available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wonder if NVIDIA will ever fix their nvidia-settings tool so it doesn't reset display gamma values to 1 each time it loads up (and overwriting your config-rc file with default values).

I don't think this is the fix mentioned here,

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
      Wonder if NVIDIA will ever fix their nvidia-settings tool so it doesn't reset display gamma values to 1 each time it loads up (and overwriting your config-rc file with default values).

I don't think this is the fix mentioned here,
      I wondered why it would always interfere with GNOME's night light mode.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

I wondered why it would always interfere with GNOME's night light mode.
        I agree. Why would gamma have troubles with a night light effect (which is done by the compositor and hence has nothing to do with gamma)?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

I agree. Why would gamma have troubles with a night light effect (which is done by the compositor and hence has nothing to do with gamma)?
          Fortunately I rarely use the nvidia utility. I can avoid using it at night.

Comment

Fixed display color range handling on pre-Turing GPUs, such that when limited color range is selected through the display controls page in nvidia-settings, output pixel values will be correctly clamped to Consumer Technology Association (CTA) range.
            Uh, I'm afraid someone got it wrong. If they're referring to luma/chroma ranges 16-235/16-240, it should still be legal to go outside that.

The main point is that white should be luma=235 and black should be luma=16. If all you do is take video using 0-255 ranges and clamp them, it's going to look horrible. Likewise, video mastered to use 16-235/16-240 should be passed through, without clamping - even if it includes some out-of-range values.

Comment

Working...
            X