Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMDGPU Driver Looking To Re-Enable Performance-Boosting "Bulk Moves" Functionality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMDGPU Driver Looking To Re-Enable Performance-Boosting "Bulk Moves" Functionality

Phoronix: AMDGPU Driver Looking To Re-Enable Performance-Boosting "Bulk Moves" Functionality

AMD developers are looking at finally re-enabling the LRU bulk moves functionality in their AMDGPU Linux kernel graphics driver that has the ability to help with performance...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Finally! If it was fixed for a while, why not backport it to 5.3? I'm going to build 5.3-rc8 with that enabled.
    Last edited by shmerl; 12 September 2019, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Sah-weeet. I'm with shmerl, compiling this sucker as we speak.

Lots of good patches out right now to compile with the kernel (5.3-rc8 in particular):

1. Valve's fsync patches
      2. amdgpu multi-monitor patches (this one was big for me - can overclock my RX 480 finally)
      3. amdgpu freesync low framerate compensation (LFC) patch
      4. amdgpu bulk moves patch

Let me know if I missed any good ones. As always, thanks for the heads up on these, Michael.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
        Let me know if I missed any good ones.
        I've recently mentioned some here: https://github.com/Tk-Glitch/PKGBUILDS/issues/298

Comment

How are those fsync patches going? Was there any follow up after initial discussion in the kernel mail list?

Comment

Lots of good patches out right now to compile with the kernel (5.3-rc8 in particular):
            I'd also add k10temp patches for Zen 2 to the above. They missed 5.3 but work nicely for Ryzen 3000 series with it.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

How are those fsync patches going? Was there any follow up after initial discussion in the kernel mail list?
              I actually noticed today there was a one-line update on their GitLab. Changed a value from 13 to 31. I just compiled it an hour ago or so and haven't had a chance to test.

But I gotta tell you, all of these things lately have had a synergistic effect. I'm talking Valve's ACO + Mesa 19.2 + fsync patches + Proton 4.11/DXVK + FreeSync/FreeSync LFC patches + 5.3 kernel, and now this bulk move patch. All my games are running great. Linux gaming is peaking right now, specifically on AMD cards.

Comment

And here I was waiting on Mesa 19.3 to finish before I stared compiling 5.2.14 and I find this thread so you know what patch I just added to it

perpetually high

I've taken kilobyte's work on Zstd compressing the kernel image and patched it up and, since I've posted that, I've tested them with whatever the releases of 4.19, 5.1, 5.2, and 5.3 were out last Sunday if you want to add another patch to your list.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
                  I've recently mentioned some here: https://github.com/Tk-Glitch/PKGBUILDS/issues/298
                  Thanks a lot for sharing those, I was able to apply the two amd patches =)

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                  I've taken kilobyte's work on Zstd compressing the kernel image and patched it up and, since I've posted that, I've tested them with whatever the releases of 4.19, 5.1, 5.2, and 5.3 were out last Sunday if you want to add another patch to your list.
                  Nice! Thanks for doing that. I'm up and running.

-rw------- 1 root root 17353600 Sep 12 15:04 vmlinuz-5.3.0-050300rc8+custom-generic
                  -rw------- 1 root root 11545472 Sep 12 15:39 vmlinuz-5.3.0-050300rc8+zstd-generic

Shaved off almost 6 MB from my previous kernel that used LZ4! Startup speed was identical to LZ4 as well, great call.

(fyi my kernel is a little large because I build in amdgpu which adds about 3.5 MB but kernel picks it up faster)

module:
                  $ dmesg|grep amdgpu
                  [ 2.671170] [drm] amdgpu kernel modesetting enabled.

built-in:
                  $ dmesg|grep amdgpu
                  [ 0.424964] [drm] amdgpu kernel modesetting enabled.

I don't know for _certain_ if it's any better as opposed to a module, but figured why not. If anyone knows for sure, feel free to chime in.

Comment

Just for the reference, I don't see any change for example in The Witcher 3 in Wine+dxvk when bulk moves are enabled.

Comment

Working...
                    X