Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon ROCm 2.7.2 Released

Phoronix: Radeon ROCm 2.7.2 Released

Radeon ROCm 2.7.2 is now available as the newest update to AMD's open-source GPU compute stack for Linux systems...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I have a Radeon RX 460 running on Fedora 30, with the radeon and radv drivers working just fine.

How do I go about enabling ROCm so that I gain OpenCL acceleration?

I'm new at this and fairly clueless about the whole ordeal.

Comment

A few months ago I tried to setup TensorFlow with ROCm support and gave up at some point. The ROCm toolchain seems to be insanely complicated (IMHO it's a complete mess).
      Your best bet would be a LTS distro and the AMD-built package repositories. Have a look here: https://rocm-documentation.readthedo...m-repositories
      Good luck!

Comment

rocm release management totally a mess. I cant do apt upgrade b/c either expire signature or wrong deb URL.
        and what we waiting here is a packaging fix?

shame on Amd. where is rocm for Navi?

3month passed, Navi support still not ready? does it suppose be launch day feature?

Comment

They should improve the insanely hard way to install ROCm on the latest distributions.
          Not everyone wants to be stuck with a more than 1 year old distribution and kernel just to use ROCm.
          After I found out that the install refuses to work because I have a distribution and kernel too new I had to format everything and:
          Install Kubuntu 18.04 -> Install ROCm -> Upgrade to Kubuntu 19.04 -> Upgrade KDE Plasma -> Upgrade Kernel to 5.2
          Just to get closer to what I want a system with latest KDE plasma and kernel that it be good for everything including some gaming.
          They should stop with versions checking on distribution and kernel and just try to install it anyway, not put put us to install more than 1 year old distribution and kernel just to make it work.
          I think that the whole ROCm installation is just pure crap and they should stop immediately with these artificial limitations.
          Last edited by Danny3; 14 September 2019, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
            Not everyone wants to be stuck with a more than 1 yearl old distribution and kernel just to use ROCm.
            Good thing the ROCm repository for Ubuntu also works on Debian Sid for those of us who wants to easily run ROCm on a rolling distribution. I admit it's an issue on other distros though.

Comment

More derails and Linux setup instructions via ROCm on GitHub.
              Intentional? ^^

Comment

Originally posted by smekras View Post
                How do I go about enabling ROCm so that I gain OpenCL acceleration?
                According to the ROCm readme with Red Hat some extra steps are required compared to Ubuntu and Fedora 30 uses kernel version 5.0 and that isn't compatible with ROCm dkms. If OpenCL is all you need it may be easier to install the closed source AMDGPU-PRO drivers and install only the OpenCL runtime. You can download a "Red Hat" (RHEL) version of the package and run the install script with "./amdgpu-pro-install -y --opencl=pal --headless". Here headless just means don't install closed source mesa, it doesn't mean you won't get X any more.

Edit: I have not tried it and you possibly have issues with AMDGPU-PRO. RHEL 8 is what they are intended for and that is based on Fedora 28, so Fedora 30 might not play well with those packages. For ROCm you could try to use the upstream kernel instead.
                Last edited by Madgemade; 14 September 2019, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Open source Image Support yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Zapp! View Post
                    A few months ago I tried to setup TensorFlow with ROCm support and gave up at some point. The ROCm toolchain seems to be insanely complicated (IMHO it's a complete mess).
                    Your best bet would be a LTS distro and the AMD-built package repositories. Have a look here: https://rocm-documentation.readthedo...m-repositories
                    Good luck!
                    I have Centos 7 on a different disk and boot into it when ever I need to use Davinci Resolve. That is all that is installed there as I wil never ever patch it because if you do it is permanently broken and needs to be reinstalled from scratch. It is a real mess.

i had read some where in the past that one of the reasons that it hasn't made it into the distros properly is that the source was in bad shape due to a sea of bad paths and links. I thought some one that frequents here was talking to AMD about how "make" could help them out with those issues. Any one know if that ever got any traction?

Comment

Working...
                    X