Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Microsoft exFAT File-System Mailed In For Linux 5.4 Along With Promoted EROFS & Greybus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft exFAT File-System Mailed In For Linux 5.4 Along With Promoted EROFS & Greybus

Phoronix: Microsoft exFAT File-System Mailed In For Linux 5.4 Along With Promoted EROFS & Greybus

Greg Kroah-Hartman began volleying his Linux 5.4 kernel pull requests today of the subsystems he oversees. The most significant of this morning's pull requests are the staging area changes that include the Microsoft exFAT file-system support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Useful. The current FUSE-based support isn't too bad — works well enough for getting photos off my camera — but native support would be nice.

Comment

So we finally got these end of 90's techs from MS in Linux. Instead of pushing some more modern and better FS as part of SD standard? Somehow it doesn't sounds very exciting - I'm sorry to inform MS but there was plenty of exciting techs since exFAT techs were invented.

As for native support: FUSE = userspace. Hence ton of context switches. On weak computers it can be as bad as speed getting CPU-limited. On more powerful it still means more cpu use, more heat, more fan noise, more battery drain... whatever, native module tends to be several times faster than fuse. Granted one of major users were android phones, these would surely benefit from speed improvements. Yes, I've seen FUSE on some phones - sure, it can access cards, but speed is below of what anticipated. Overall this + licensing fees made SDXC cards rather unpopular compared to SD/SDHC and sabotaged their use a lot.
      Last edited by SystemCrasher; 19 September 2019, 10:23 PM.

Comment

I got little confused.
        Is this new code/driver provided by Microsoft? or bug fix of Samsung's code/driver?

Comment

Working...
        X