Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OLPC XO-1.75 Seeing Mainline Support With The Linux 5.4 Kernel, Seven Years After Launch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OLPC XO-1.75 Seeing Mainline Support With The Linux 5.4 Kernel, Seven Years After Launch

Phoronix: OLPC XO-1.75 Seeing Mainline Support With The Linux 5.4 Kernel, Seven Years After Launch

Seven years after the One Laptop Per Child (OLPC) XO-1.75 Arm-based laptop entered production or nearly one decade since development began, it's now seeing mainline kernel support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does anyone know if the OX-4 is already supported?

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
      Searching the Linxu Git commits for XO-4 only shows some mentions of input driver work and what not, but no DeviceTree addition, so if anything there is just some incomplete support.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Michael

Invest in some bread ties and take a day off for cable management

FWIW, I need to do the same. Reckon most of us do too.

Comment

Looks like the XO-1.75 get more exposure. It is fun to watch people trying to open it just to have kids figuring out.

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
            I'm going to send in the pull request with MMP3 support (which XO-4 is based on) for Linux 5.5. Do you use or have a XO-4 machine?

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            Searching the Linxu Git commits for XO-4 only shows some mentions of input driver work and what not, but no DeviceTree addition, so if anything there is just some incomplete support.
            The devicetree file doesn't matter here. The machine itself is OpenFirmware based and thus constructs the device tree in firmware.

The addition of XO-1.75 dts file was merely a development convenience and is not needed for running the mainline kernels on the XO laptops. In fact, you could run mainline kernel on it since 5.0 or so. If you feel trying it out, just grab
            a Fedora 31 .raw.xz and arm-image-installer it on a SD card (USB flash stick should do too).

Originally posted by finalzone View Post
            Looks like the XO-1.75 get more exposure. It is fun to watch people trying to open it just to have kids figuring out.
            Indeed. It's me who's beating the XO-1.75 mainline support into shape and my kiddo just turns 1 in two days. I'm secretly hoping she's gonna have some fun with the machine eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by lkundrak View Post

I'm going to send in the pull request with MMP3 support (which XO-4 is based on) for Linux 5.5. Do you use or have a XO-4 machine?
              Just curious, thanks for the extra info I saw theres also plans to get android as an option for XO-4, not sure how serious they where.

Comment

Working...
              X