No announcement yet.

The Surge 2 Sees Same-Day Linux Support Via Steam Play, RADV Workaround Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Surge 2 Sees Same-Day Linux Support Via Steam Play, RADV Workaround Needed

Phoronix: The Surge 2 Sees Same-Day Linux Support Via Steam Play, RADV Workaround Needed

Released yesterday was The Surge 2 third-person action RPG game by Deck13 and sequel to the earlier The Surge game. While only released for Windows and consoles, thanks to Valve's Steam Play there is same-day support on Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why game developers don't go straight for cross-platform solution?

Rendering engine based on Vulkan is cross-platform on its own, and then add only little platform specific code to open window with Vulkan rendering context under Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by kravemir View Post

Rendering engine based on Vulkan is cross-platform on its own, and then add only little platform specific code to open window with Vulkan rendering context under Linux.
      Presumably due to the support load involved.... Particularly for Linux game ports, having to provide support/QA/answering-questions occupies a lot of resources beyond just the initial cross-platform development focus.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Presumably due to the support load involved.... Particularly for Linux game ports, having to provide support/QA/answering-questions occupies a lot of resources beyond just the initial cross-platform development focus.
        That's the unfortunate state of it all; especially so in regards to what Linux do they actually support. Go with the less used, actually supported SteamOS; pick Arch and all of it's advancedness; Ubuntu LTS/Suse Leap and be behind in regards to features and abilities; then there's DEs and WM protocols that each have their own quirks.

We're the less used OS with 20x the help and support needed.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

That's the unfortunate state of it all; especially so in regards to what Linux do they actually support. Go with the less used, actually supported SteamOS; pick Arch and all of it's advancedness; Ubuntu LTS/Suse Leap and be behind in regards to features and abilities; then there's DEs and WM protocols that each have their own quirks.

It's enough to support SteamOS and Ubuntu like other developers do.

Comment

0.2% of the userbase, 20% of the support tickets BD

(But you forgot the most optimal option: pick Manjaro and get all of the new things with no advancedness barrier AND EZ rollback)
            Last edited by josh_walrath; 24 September 2019, 07:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

It's enough to support SteamOS and Ubuntu like other developers do.
              Normally I'd agree, but go read the Proton issue tracker. Lots of Manjaro and Arch users there. Do they pick what's official or what people are actually using to play games and report bugs? With the latest Steam beta I've come across a few posts saying "it sucks unless I'm using Manjaro's Steam Native package".

Also, with the latest Steam beta, disable GPU acceleration in web views. It causes a memory leak. I killed it yesterday at 37.7GB of ram and climbing.

Comment

Originally posted by josh_walrath View Post

0.2% of the userbase, 20% of the support tickets BD

(But you forgot the most optimal option: pick Manjaro and get all of the new things with no advancedness barrier AND EZ rollback)
                I'm a known Manjaro user here. Didn't want to be seen as pushing an agenda or my distribution on others.

Comment

Normally I'd agree, but go read the Proton issue tracker. Lots of Manjaro and Arch users there. Do they pick what's official or what people are actually using to play games and report bugs?
                  I suppose the distribution just "doesn't matter enough".

Comment

Originally posted by kravemir View Post

Their solution already *is* cross-platform. The supported platforms are Windows, Xbox One and Playstation 4.
                    Infact, another piece of evidence of this being a cross-platform solution is the fact the game is already playable in Wine.

As for why it's not being marketed as such? Marketing and support costs.
                    Be thankful to the developers who made the conscious decisions to avoid using unsupported platform specific APIs in their Windows port.

Comment

Working...
                    X