Epic Games Contributes New SDL Video Driver For Offscreen Rendering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epic Games Contributes New SDL Video Driver For Offscreen Rendering

Phoronix: Epic Games Contributes New SDL Video Driver For Offscreen Rendering

Epic Games' Brandon Schaefer (and in fact former Canonical developer working on Ubuntu's Mir display server) has contributed a new SDL2 video driver back-end for offscreen rendering...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder why they focus on legacy EGL/OpenGL case before modern WSI/Vulkan one. They should prioritize the later.

Also, could something like this be used as a frontend for Stadia SDK? I.e. developers using SDL for both Stadia and desktop Linux would even further reduce the costs of making desktop Linux version from the Stadia one.

Comment

Hmmm... looks like we'll get Fortnite on Stadia.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
        I wonder why they focus on legacy EGL/OpenGL case before modern WSI/Vulkan one. They should prioritize the later.
        Momentum. OpenGL is probably what they use most in their existing projects, so it's what they care about the most.

Frankly, I feel the same way as they do. My app is written with OpenGL and that's not likely to change soon. My Android 5 tablets don't even support Vulkan, so, yeah...

Comment

Originally posted by ed31337 View Post

Momentum. OpenGL is probably what they use most in their existing projects, so it's what they care about the most.

Frankly, I feel the same way as they do. My app is written with OpenGL and that's not likely to change soon. My Android 5 tablets don't even support Vulkan, so, yeah...
          Time to move on for any new effort. Android will soon require Vulkan, and any OpenGL will actually be translated to Vulkan there and they won't even bother to support it natively.

Comment

Android will soon require Vulkan
            Well that blows!

any OpenGL will actually be translated to Vulkan there
            Oh, okay, so my app will keep functioning? That's fine with me then.

Someday when I actually need more gfx performance and Vulkan is available ubiquitously, I might re-write my app to support Vulkan. Otherwise, I'd rather stay on OpenGL -- it works and it works everywhere (for the moment).

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
              Hmmm... looks like we'll get Fortnite on Stadia.
              This actually will be a problem... Game devs may stop targeting Linux and just target Stadia instead...

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

This actually will be a problem... Game devs may stop targeting Linux and just target Stadia instead...
                They never targeted Linux, so Stadia won't change that.
                On the contrary that will bring more devs aware of the Linux system. The more Linux knowledge game devs have, the better it is for Linux gaming in the long term.

Comment

Isn't much of the work done from the fact that the EGL spec allows headless contexts?

Post from ~2016 demonstrating this

If you’re like me, you have a GPU-accelerated in-situ visualization toolkit that you need to run on the latest-generation supercomputer. Or maybe you have a fantastic OpenGL application that you want…

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

Time to move on for any new effort. Android will soon require Vulkan, and any OpenGL will actually be translated to Vulkan there and they won't even bother to support it natively.
                    My company looked into this a little. So far the majority of devices (~75%) are still primarily OpenGL with no Vulkan capabilities (especially if you include Apples into the mix).
                    However we predict that in 2025 we will find benefit from using Vulkan directly. But as it stands OpenGL is still the best option (with shims for more niche platforms).
                    It is easier to wrap OpenGL (i.e to work ontop of DirectX) than it is Vulkan due to its vastness.

I love Vulkan; After all, it has managed to remove those fools who were hellbent on using DirectX and locking a project to windows from the equation. However OpenGL is still the most portable choice for now.

Comment

Working...
                    X