ZFS On Linux 0.8.2 Released With Linux 5.3 Compatibility, Many Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZFS On Linux 0.8.2 Released With Linux 5.3 Compatibility, Many Fixes

Phoronix: ZFS On Linux 0.8.2 Released With Linux 5.3 Compatibility, Many Fixes

ZFS On Linux 0.8.2 is out with fixes in order to provide compatibility with the brand new Linux 5.3 stable kernel while retaining support still going back to the Linux 2.6.32 days...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Looking through the patches it doesn't look like the SIMD re-enablement made it into this release. It is merged into master, so it may to just have to wait until 0.9.

Comment

Originally posted by yokem55 View Post
      Looking through the patches it doesn't look like the SIMD re-enablement made it into this release. It is merged into master, so it may to just have to wait until 0.9.
      Is there a way for a regular user to check this? Like on a running machine. I looked around in dmesg, /proc/spl and /sys/module/zfs but there's no hint.

Comment

Originally posted by kobblestown View Post

Is there a way for a regular user to check this? Like on a running machine. I looked around in dmesg, /proc/spl and /sys/module/zfs but there's no hint.
        for raidz, yes

Code:
        cat /sys/module/zfs/parameters/zfs_vdev_raidz_impl
        [fastest] original scalar sse2 ssse3 avx2
        edit: a non-simd system wouldn't show sse or avx.

there are other facets of zfs that use simd like fletcher4 which is used for checksums, but there doesn't seem to be a way to figure out what implementation that uses.
        Last edited by some_canuck; 27 September 2019, 07:31 AM.

Comment

With this being the first release since ZoL 0.8.1 back in June, ...
          Lol, of course this is the first release since the last release. But that is always true. Normally you would say
          "With this being the third release in the ZoL 0.8 series", you get the idea.
          Last edited by ultimA; 27 September 2019, 08:25 AM.

Comment

In the meantime, still no zfs for CentOS 8
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Really cool . I can finally update to Linux 5.3 . Many thanks to everyone involved with ZoL .

I'm hoping that ZSTD support makes it for the 0.8.3 release. It actually implements zstd fast and zstd fast is just as fast and compresses better than LZ4 according to my tests.

On a side-note, when the kernel's ZSTD implementation gets fast support, that's going to be a real game changer for zram & zswap.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                Really cool . I can finally update to Linux 5.3 . Many thanks to everyone involved with ZoL .

I'm hoping that ZSTD support makes it for the 0.8.3 release. It actually implements zstd fast and zstd fast is just as fast and compresses better than LZ4 according to my tests.

On a side-note, when the kernel's ZSTD implementation gets fast support, that's going to be a real game changer for zram & zswap.
                I really like that with zstd, a single compressor can handle the entire range from low-CPU fast compression (with decent compression ratio) all the way to extreme CPU load slow compression and very good compression ratio.

Comment

Working...
                X