Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OpenMandriva Can Now Clang Its Linux Kernel Build For This LLVM Focused Distribution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenMandriva Can Now Clang Its Linux Kernel Build For This LLVM Focused Distribution

Phoronix: OpenMandriva Can Now Clang Its Linux Kernel Build For This LLVM Focused Distribution

OpenMandriva is one of the few Linux distributions (and arguably the only prominent one) that uses LLVM Clang as its default compiler toolchain over GCC for building its packages and the preferred C/C++ compiler exposed to its users. One of the last hold outs for this Clang'ed Linux distribution has been the kernel build but that is now no longer a blocker...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I tried this recently excessively live on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZGV_7TfKy8 LTDW: not many benefits, LLVM/clang does not produce better code, and is itself very sensitive to optimisations, you need to compile LLVM/clang very specifically not to be much slower, and even then it is still slower than latest GCC. plus all the non compiling random build errors due to different C/C++ standard compliance, ...

Comment

For anyone interested I recently uploaded a musl/clang gentoo image:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Gentoo/comm...lchain_stage4/
      Last edited by staalmannen; 30 September 2019, 12:19 PM. Reason: EDIT: spelling correction on my phone does not know about musl libc

Comment

Just wondering, what was the reason for them to switch the whole distro from GCC to clang? I can imagine some benefits in supporting both, but what made OpenMandriva do this?

Comment

Hello Good Morning I Do Have Clanged My Linux Kernel id like to share a link of my post on a Linux Spanish Group With Some Evidence https://www.facebook.com/groups/linu...4022397977731/

This Is Wih No LTO or ThinLto , if someone can provide some info , how to get it done with thinlto please share

Comment

Originally posted by GrayShade View Post
            Just wondering, what was the reason for them to switch the whole distro from GCC to clang? I can imagine some benefits in supporting both, but what made OpenMandriva do this?
            Here is answer: https://llvm.org/devmtg/2019-04/slid...nux_distro.pdf

Comment

Wasnt openmandriva very slow compared to normal Linux distributions the last time phoronix did benchmarks?

Comment

Originally posted by retardxfce View Post
                Wasnt openmandriva very slow compared to normal Linux distributions the last time phoronix did benchmarks?
                Yes, it was, even their Zen-build wasn't showing significant benefits and I hoped for more.

Comment

Originally posted by retardxfce View Post
                  Those benchmarks were run with each distribution's default settings, where OpenMandriva has all sorts of power management enabled to help extend battery life while some other distributions being compared default to performance no matter what.

Comment

Originally posted by xpris View Post
                    Better compile times (for resulting binaries with very similar performance)
                    Really? I'd prefer to have a fast OS than a fast-compiled OS.

Maybe most importantly: More readable code
                    But compiled code isn't readable? (maybe except when read through a decompiler like objdump)

Comment

Working...
                    X