Firefox 69 + Chrome 77 On Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu / Clear Linux Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox 69 + Chrome 77 On Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu / Clear Linux Benchmarks

Phoronix: Firefox 69 + Chrome 77 On Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu / Clear Linux Benchmarks

With running some fresh cross-OS benchmarks now that Ubuntu 19.10 is imminent followed by Ubuntu 19.10, a new Windows 10 update coming in the days ahead, and also the release of macOS 10.15, a lot of fun benchmarks are ahead. In today's article is a quick look at the Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu 19.10 vs. Clear Linux web browser performance for both Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

No CoreOS stats?

Comment

Recently I've been having a really good experience with waterfox. I refuse to touch chrome, and both Brave and Firefox had some irritating behavior on handling certain online content. Waterfox with security extensions is not the fastest like Brave, but faster than Firefox in a lot of cases, and more stable with web content across the boards.

I still like Brave for speed, and I still build my own stripped down version of Firefox for a couple of nice features like the built in screenshot tool.

Comment

Personally I'm very satisfied with how Chrome / mium behaves in Gnu / linux, on my machines it's very fast.

Comment

Interesting how especially the graphic heavy benchmark run much better on linux. I wonder if that has to do with application internal optimizations (skia?), the WM/compostior (gnome shell on X11 in both cases I think?) or the graphic drivers.

Comment

One can tune chrome to use more video acceleration with Nvidia hardware. See line 28 [H] on the 19.10 tab in this doc: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...uNdd6F-xY0hAUM . I wonder how much of a Delta this might provide as at least 5 categories of acceleration go from partial or none to full support.

Comment

Typo: Ubuntu 19.10 is imminent followed by Ubuntu 19.10

Comment

Glad to see that the difference between windows/linux performance has shrunk in the recent years :-)

Comment

And with Firefox 71 its probably even better, things such as DMA_BUF for Wayland have recently landed.

I wish some of the Clear Linux performance optimizations would trickle down to Ubuntu, Debian and Fedora.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    I wish some of the Clear Linux performance optimizations would trickle down to Ubuntu, Debian and Fedora.
                    I'd take it one step further:
                    I wish some of the Clear optimizations would trickle down to the mainline code, so all distros benefit.

Comment

Working...
                    X