Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 19.10 Makes It So Easy To Have Your Desktop Running Off A ZFS File-System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 19.10 Makes It So Easy To Have Your Desktop Running Off A ZFS File-System

Phoronix: Ubuntu 19.10 Makes It So Easy To Have Your Desktop Running Off A ZFS File-System

As we reported this weekend, the Ubuntu desktop installer "Ubiquity" has landed the much anticipated ZFS install support. That's now propagated through to the Ubuntu 19.10 daily ISOs and does indeed make for a quick and easy setup of Ubuntu Eoan running off a root ZFS file-system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    Canonical is back! 20.04 LTS will rock the desktop.
    I don't think the average desktop user cares about ZFS.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

I doubt the average desktop user cares or even knows about Linux to begin with. But I agree that ZFS generally isn't something the average desktop user would need or even know how to use, even if they used Ubuntu. EXT4 is generally robust enough for desktop use with good backups of data (you do have those riiiiiight? ). For servers and locally attached storage arrays it could be a very good option to have available.
      Last edited by stormcrow; 09 October 2019, 07:23 AM.

Comment

To humbly disagree: that's where you're wrong. Simply look at OSX and Windows 7+ features in regards to rollback, snapshots, backup options, etc. The current Linux methods for doing that involve BTRFS and snapshots or File System over LVM+LUKS or LUKS+LVM with a custom rolled backup strategy. ZFS offers all of that under one toolkit versus the two/three or more toolkits needed without ZFS.

Simply put, desktop users like simplicity and ZFS offers that in the form of a single solution that covers all file system needs.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

To humbly disagree: that's where you're wrong. Simply look at OSX and Windows 7+ features in regards to rollback, snapshots, backup options, etc. The current Linux methods for doing that involve BTRFS and snapshots or File System over LVM+LUKS or LUKS+LVM with a custom rolled backup strategy. ZFS offers all of that under one toolkit versus the two/three or more toolkits needed without ZFS.

Simply put, desktop users like simplicity and ZFS offers that in the form of a single solution that covers all file system needs.
          OSTree also offers rollbacks such as with Fedora SIlverblue.

Comment

OSTree also offers rollbacks such as with Fedora SIlverblue.
            Which is why I always keep an eye out for Fedora articles . I'd love an Arch version of that because I'd be able to drop Manjaro.

For the time being I don't consider it to be a general purpose, available everywhere method. Technically, ZFS doesn't check that box either. I'm hoping that Zsys will spread and become a general purpose, available everywhere method just as much as I'm wanting the same thing for OSTree....the two combined would be f*cking amazing.

Comment

Deleted
              Last edited by skeevy420; 09 October 2019, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Well, ZFS also needs snapshots, so BTRFS and ZFS should be quite equal here. But it's arguably somewhat more stable etc.

Comment

When it comes to ZFS, I like the snapshot functionality but cannot justify the RAM requirements for my development workstation.

That said, I always kind of think for a home user ZFS would be very useful for Windows to "reset" it to a known state after each time you use it. After all, each time you use Windows it basically shites all over itself and makes a mess in its registry
                  Last edited by kpedersen; 09 October 2019, 08:44 AM.

Comment

as an average developer / data scientist can anyone please summarize why or why not worth it for me to reformat into zfs

Comment

Working...
                    X