System76 Launches Two Intel Laptops With "Open-Source Firmware" Coreboot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System76 Launches Two Intel Laptops With "Open-Source Firmware" Coreboot

Phoronix: System76 Launches Two Intel Laptops With "Open-Source Firmware" Coreboot

While not exactly a big surprise with System76 having done an "OSFC Edition" Coreboot laptop at small scale at the end of the summer, but System76 is now formally announcing two Linux laptops shipping with Coreboot as an alternative to their proprietary BIOS...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Oh look it's the 14nm Comet Lake that has a model number that looks suspiciously like a 10nm Ice Lake but lacks any of the new features (new iGPU, AVX-512). I'm glad that the "10th generation Core" is so uniform

Comment

Some of you may already have seen my rants about companies misusing the "open-source" term whilst still relying on binary blobs.

This time System76 is using the slogan "THE SPARK TO GENERATE AN OPEN SOURCE FUTURE" (their shouting, not mine).

Yeah, I can live with this. It seems that they are correctly saying "We aren't quite there yet, but we are trying to aim for this in the future!"

So System76... Nice job! I have nothing bad to say (and that is rare because I am a miserable sh&t )
      Last edited by kpedersen; 10 October 2019, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by numacross View Post
        Oh look it's the 14nm Comet Lake that has a model number that looks suspiciously like a 10nm Ice Lake but lacks any of the new features (new iGPU, AVX-512). I'm glad that the "10th generation Core" is so uniform
        This is why I would prefer an AMD solution. Binary blobs don’t concern me as much as Intel’s marketing. I’m not saying AMD is perfect either but they don’t go out of the way to confuse people with their naming conventions.

by the way there are other reasons to prefer AMD but the fact is Intel makes used car salesman look honest.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
          Some of you may already have seen my rants about companies misusing the "open-source" term whilst still relying on binary blobs.

This time System76 is using the slogan "THE SPARK TO GENERATE AN OPEN SOURCE FUTURE" (their shouting, not mine).

Yeah, I can live with this. It seems that they are correctly saying "We aren't quite there yet, but we are trying to aim for this in the future!"

So System76... Nice job! I have nothing bad to say (and that is rare because I am a miserable sh&t )
          That is honesty one can respect! However I’d be surprised if we will ever see an X86 based chip that is 100% open. I don’t ever see the micro code and the tools to manage that “open source”. Frankly I don’t worry about binary blobs in general as frankly there are plenty of weak spots in Linux. It isn’t like Linux and the open source software is regularly audited for correctness.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
            This is why I would prefer an AMD solution. Binary blobs don’t concern me as much as Intel’s marketing. I’m not saying AMD is perfect either but they don’t go out of the way to confuse people with their naming conventions.
            Well then you probably know that Ryzen 3400G is not even using the same core (Zen+) as Ryzen 3600 (Zen 2)? While the differences are not as big as in the 10th gen Core there are still some - memory speed and compatibility, cache sizes, AVX2 implementation to name a few. Both are considered "3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™"
            Last edited by numacross; 10 October 2019, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

Not sure I follow your logic. If people were not ranting about open source fw implementations, companies wouldn't be putting these things out in the first place.

Comment

Will we be able to install this Coreboot on the older Darter Pros? Looking at the specs of the new Darter Pro I can see it's very similar to the old one except for the newer CPU.

Comment

As long as they aren't Kaby Lake-G. Intel announced to OEM's they are ceasing production.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
                    Will we be able to install this Coreboot on the older Darter Pros? Looking at the specs of the new Darter Pro I can see it's very similar to the old one except for the newer CPU.
                    Probably not.

Comment

Working...
                    X