Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 19.10 Provides Good Out-Of-The-Box Support For The Dell XPS 7390 Icelake Laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 19.10 Provides Good Out-Of-The-Box Support For The Dell XPS 7390 Icelake Laptop

Phoronix: Ubuntu 19.10 Provides Good Out-Of-The-Box Support For The Dell XPS 7390 Icelake Laptop

For those not following on Twitter, recently I picked up one of the new Dell XPS 7390 laptops for finally being able to deliver Linux benchmarks from Intel Ice Lake! Yes, it's real and running under Linux! For those eyeing the Dell XPS 7390 with this being the first prominent laptop with Ice Lake, here is a brief look at the initial experience with using Ubuntu 19.10.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So does installing the linux 5.4 kernel from the Ubuntu repo's (https://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-pp...line/v5.4-rc2/) fix the thunderbolt issue?

Comment

YESSS!! Just as I was considering buying this exact laptop, this article comes out! This is awesome! Looking forward to all your reportings about it!

Comment

Michael

Please run benchmarks which take at least five minutes to complete, e.g. video (re)encoding or heavy 3d scenes rendering. And if you have any Whiskey Lake/Ryzen mobile parts around, it would be nice to see them compared as well. While running these tests it would be great if you monitored/logged CPU temperatures/frequencies and power consumption, e.g. using turbostat.

I'm asking all of this because there are a lot of questions about Intel's 10nm node and how it really fares against their tried and tested 14nm node.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
          Details on the performance?
          That's all coming in future articles, still running tons of tests, only had it for a few days but basically an article saying the laptop is working well basically on Ubuntu 19.10.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
            Michael

Please run benchmarks which take at least five minutes to complete, e.g. video (re)encoding or heavy 3d scenes rendering. And if you have any Whiskey Lake/Ryzen mobile parts around, it would be nice to see them compared as well. While running these tests it would be great if you monitored/logged CPU temperatures/frequencies and power consumption, e.g. using turbostat.

I'm asking all of this because there are a lot of questions about Intel's 10nm node and how it really fares against their tried and tested 14nm node.
            Yep will ultimately have lots of thermal and power data.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I would like to see how the GPU compares to a Iris plus 655. Most of the comparisons from Intel are from weaker GPUs.

Comment

Looking forward to this series of articles.

Comment

Michael
                  Arch Wiki link is broken, it's missing `)` at the end.

Comment

Can you test how well the Thunderbolt support works on kernel 5.4? I think the devs would appreciate some feedback and if you find issues it's not too late to open a bug report either.

Comment

Working...
                    X