Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LLVM Plans To Switch From Its SVN To Git Workflow Next Week

Phoronix: LLVM Plans To Switch From Its SVN To Git Workflow Next Week

LLVM developers had been planning to transition to the Git revision control system in place of SVN by the time of their developer meeting in October. It looks like that goal will be realized on the same-day as kicking off that annual developer meeting...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That's good... I rather like git checkouts. I find myself using that more and more to get sources for stable versions of things too. Clone the project so you have everything, all deltas, all third party bundled libraries (where applicable... a good example of that being highly useful is Audacity) and just check out a release tag.

I have just been using tarballs for LLVM (only using releases for that) but a git checkout can be more convenient.

I'm not really a programmer, so I don't do any commits anywhere, but git is a fantastic source management tool. Borne out of that bollocks with Bitkeeper and the kernel devs. (i.e. something good came of it in the end).

Comment

Why people use anything but git is beyond me. There are replay scripts for any source control system out there.

Comment

Originally posted by betam4x View Post
        Why people use anything but git is beyond me.
        • History, git wasn't always around.
        • Transition effort; migrating small projects is easy, migration all aspects of SVN history from a large project with decades of history is ... non-trivial
        • Resistance to mono-culture
        • Finally let's not forget, not everyone likes all aspects of git design. No revision numbers (though being a natural consequence of being fully distributed). Large initial checkouts etc. Plus, git took it's sweet time polishing its interface into something even resembling an friendly interface Still not done with it, but getting there.
        Don't get me wrong. I'm a fan and use nothing but, but you asked for reasons why not.
        Last edited by TLE02; 15 October 2019, 03:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by betam4x View Post
          Why people use anything but git is beyond me. There are replay scripts for any source control system out there.
          Also git a least by itself not designed to work with large binary files. Like pictures/music/video. Especially if they worked on by several people simultaneously e.g. in gamedev.
          There are some extensions.

Comment

50 years from now what will Linus be remembered for, Linux or Git?

Comment

Originally posted by pkunk View Post

Also git a least by itself not designed to work with large binary files. Like pictures/music/video. Especially if they worked on by several people simultaneously e.g. in gamedev.
              There are some extensions.
              There is Git LFS, and using plain large binary files makes git considerably worse - but it's a long way towards making it unusable or even worse than alternatives.
              Its worth adjusting your workflow anyway to keep only textfiles in your source control system, and manage the rest with something like Artifactory.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
                For both.

Comment

Bitcoin. Now hug off.

*ducks*

Comment

His charming personality and kindly tolerance for others.

Comment

Working...
                    X