Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux Graphics Drivers Could Have User-Space API Changes More Strictly Evaluated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Graphics Drivers Could Have User-Space API Changes More Strictly Evaluated

Phoronix: Linux Graphics Drivers Could Have User-Space API Changes More Strictly Evaluated

User-space API additions and changes (granted, no ABI breakage permitted for the mainline Linux kernel) to Linux Direct Rendering Manager (DRM) drivers is done fairly easily by their developers and possibly without enough thought. Linux DRM subsystem co-maintainer David Airlie has issued a proposal that would make user-space API alterations more strictly reviewed...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good news but I expect a lot of push back from the GPU manufactures.

Comment

It's not enough effort! This is getting ridiculous and it seems more of a political move than a technical one, really.

Linux needs better, more efficient, more flexible and better maintained UAPIs. And specifically, in video and audio stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
        It's not enough effort! This is getting ridiculous and it seems more of a political move than a technical one, really.

Linux needs better, more efficient, more flexible and better maintained UAPIs. And specifically, in video and audio stuff.
        Definitely in audio. Unfortunately Pulseaudio isn't going anywhere especially since Firefox now has a hard dependency on it for audio. From what I understand the very existence of Pulse is because the ALSA API was such a mess compared to the OSS it replaced. We ended up with something even worse to fix what no one wanted to touch because ALSA was apparently too awesome to touch.

Some distros make the audio subsystems facing the user easier, and some are just hideous with it. Ubuntu is kinda in the middle, kinda took a step back in 18.04 from 16.04 in specifying default audio devices but otherwise often works. OpenSUSE on the other hand, often doesn't work, can't figure out why it doesn't work, and sometimes requires a power cycle to make it work - on the same hardware as the Ubuntu setup.

I realize that's not necessarily the kernel that's the problem, it's Gnome/Yast/etc, but it doesn't matter to the user if it's the kernel, pulseaudio, Gnome, or little purple blobs from Pluto. We/they just want it to work.

Comment

stormcrow

By the description, the issue related to audio seemed specific to OpenSUSE.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post
            I realize that's not necessarily the kernel that's the problem, it's Gnome/Yast/etc, but it doesn't matter to the user if it's the kernel, pulseaudio, Gnome, or little purple blobs from Pluto. We/they just want it to work.
            i have no problems with kernel, pulseaudio or gnome. maybe the problem is you?

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
              i have no problems with kernel, pulseaudio or gnome. maybe the problem is you?
              Must have failed basic logic in school. Because if you have no problems, it's obvious that nobody else can either, and it must be PEBKAC. Or of course the simpler explanation is that you're trolling again, as usual.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

Definitely in audio. Unfortunately Pulseaudio isn't going anywhere especially since Firefox now has a hard dependency on it for audio. From what I understand the very existence of Pulse is because the ALSA API was such a mess compared to the OSS it replaced. We ended up with something even worse to fix what no one wanted to touch because ALSA was apparently too awesome to touch.

Some distros make the audio subsystems facing the user easier, and some are just hideous with it. Ubuntu is kinda in the middle, kinda took a step back in 18.04 from 16.04 in specifying default audio devices but otherwise often works. OpenSUSE on the other hand, often doesn't work, can't figure out why it doesn't work, and sometimes requires a power cycle to make it work - on the same hardware as the Ubuntu setup.

Although your rant has nothing to do with the article, it's such a long rant I'll answer in belief that it's a sincere one. If you want to use a Linux distribution that just works and you're still on Ubuntu, you're looking in the wrong place. It should be clear by now to anyone following this space that Canonical cares more about people signing them property rights over other peoples work than developing actual useful software. I switched to Fedora many years ago and never looked back. I have upgrade the same Fedora installation through major versions for years, over ten times, something that was simply unimaginable in Ubuntu that I had to reinstall from scratch every six months. Then I realised that if you want useful working software that just works, Canonical is as far from it as you could go.

Comment

Originally posted by sa666666 View Post
                  Must have failed basic logic in school. Because if you have no problems, it's obvious that nobody else can either, and it must be PEBKAC. Or of course the simpler explanation is that you're trolling again, as usual.
                  well, basic logic tells me that if nobody has problem except for some forum poster, the issue is clearly not global. just as i said. what logic is telling you the opposite? also what brain condition makes you confuse maybe with must ?

Comment

Originally posted by jntesteves View Post

Although your rant has nothing to do with the article, it's such a long rant I'll answer in belief that it's a sincere one. If you want to use a Linux distribution that just works and you're still on Ubuntu, you're looking in the wrong place. It should be clear by now to anyone following this space that Canonical cares more about people signing them property rights over other peoples work than developing actual useful software. I switched to Fedora many years ago and never looked back. I have upgrade the same Fedora installation through major versions for years, over ten times, something that was simply unimaginable in Ubuntu that I had to reinstall from scratch every six months. Then I realised that if you want useful working software that just works, Canonical is as far from it as you could go.
                    The problem with Fedora is the kernel configuration: No preemption (PREEMPT)!

Which leads to the following problems:

- Games like to jerk around
                    - Websites like to jerk around

So, basically, every now and then, your computer WILL stutter, which is not the case with Ubuntu's "lowlatency" kernel option, by the way!

Comment

Working...
                    X