Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma 5.17 Released With Wayland Improvements, Better HiDPI

Phoronix: KDE Plasma 5.17 Released With Wayland Improvements, Better HiDPI

Plasma 5.17.0 is out as the newest desktop feature release from the KDE project...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The video was so awesome! I had to pause it every few seconds to completely discover the presented features...

Comment

The fractional scaling doesn't work well, tried it on Wayland with 1,3 and the result was really blurry. Had to disable it and go back to 1x with an increased font DPI, looks much better. Seems like a good release anyway, just no major improvement on Wayland so far.

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
        The fractional scaling doesn't work well, tried it on Wayland with 1,3 and the result was really blurry. Had to disable it and go back to 1x with an increased font DPI, looks much better. Seems like a good release anyway, just no major improvement on Wayland so far.
        To see improvements on Wayland, wait for the new Qt 5.14 version. Should solve some problems ...

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
          There was a mipmap patch originally to fix this that would've ended up in 5.17.0 had it been accepted, however it was swapped out in favor a simple filter (a good thing). Pretty sure that patch will be in 5.17.1, but i could be wrong. It fixes the blur for fractional scale factors on Wayland pretty much completely.

Also wayland did have performance improvements in 5.17, which are pretty big.

Comment

About the GPU stats, looks like it is only new for Nvidia cards, since I had been monitoring temps and fan speed for AMD and Intel GPUs for a long time now.

Comment

Still does NOT work on NVIDIA cards due to Xorg dependencies.

EDIT: To be clear, NVIDIA and Wayland work fine with each other. NVIDIA and KDE don't because KDE has certain components still linked to X. XWayland doesn't work on NVIDIA cards.
              Last edited by betam4x; 15 October 2019, 02:41 PM.

Comment

But that's really Nvidia's fault, you don't seriously expect to be able to run without XWayland at this point in time.

Comment

Most useful feature for me: Proper tray icon support for Wine programs.
                  A bit disappointed about the remaining fractional scaling glitches though.

Comment

Originally posted by genstorm View Post
                    But that's really Nvidia's fault, you don't seriously expect to be able to run without XWayland at this point in time.
                    Not really. Wayland works just fine for NVIDIA cards on GNOME. Also, NVIDIA isn't the only manufacturer being left out in the cold. Many other devices (Raspberry Pi, Rockchip based devices, etc.) don't work. The folks that designed Wayland should have used their brain. As a developer, there is no way in hell I would have locked out 80% of my user base.

Comment

Working...
                    X