Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Now Aiming For Gallium3D OpenGL Default For Mesa 20.0

Phoronix: Intel Now Aiming For Gallium3D OpenGL Default For Mesa 20.0

While we had been eager for Intel's goal of defaulting to their new Gallium3D OpenGL Linux driver by EOY2019, it looks like that is going to swing by one quarter with the plan now for Mesa 20.0 at the end of Q1...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

so my haswell gpu is dead now ?

Comment

Originally posted by Aryma View Post
      so my haswell gpu is dead now ?
      Not dead, but it'll keep using the legacy driver forever. I would expect though no new features and just minimal support or fixes.

Comment

Did somebody had some luck when testing Iris with SDDM and Plasma Wayland? On Mesa 19.1 I got only a black screen, now with Mesa 19.2 Plasma Wayland loads into a black screen but the mouse cursor is visible, so something seems to render but it just not visible.

Comment

Kind of disappointed the minimum is gen 8 (my Haswell is 7.5). I'm not sure if I'm just mis-remembering, but did the Iris driver ever support it? I vaguely recall trying that environment variable and having it work.

Comment

i will switch to iris once mesa 19.3 is on my laptop

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
              Kind of disappointed the minimum is gen 8 (my Haswell is 7.5). I'm not sure if I'm just mis-remembering, but did the Iris driver ever support it? I vaguely recall trying that environment variable and having it work.
              iris began as Gen9+ (Skylake) and Dave Airlie extended it to Gen8 (Broadwell). Haswell and earlier have never been supported, nor were there any plans to. i965 will continue to be supported for those systems - though very little development has actually happened for that era of GPU for a few years now.
              Free Software Developer .:. Mesa and Xorg
              Opinions expressed in these forum posts are my own.

Comment

My understanding is that only Gen8 hardware and newer has support for 48-bit memory addressing, and that's needed for the processor and gpu to share addresses without hacks.

Comment

I think you may be thinking of Vulkan support in the anv driver, which is partial but largely working with 7.5 but only fully supported on gen 8+.

Comment

Even being the owner of a Haswell laptop, I can't say I'm surprised, or disappointed. That's a lot of work Intel has to do with very little financial incentive. It's not like the old drivers are bad (in fact, I'd say they're pretty good).

Comment

Working...
                    X