Google Releases Bazel 1.0 Build System With Faster Build Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Releases Bazel 1.0 Build System With Faster Build Performance

Phoronix: Google Releases Bazel 1.0 Build System With Faster Build Performance

Google open-sourced their Bazel build system four years ago while today it reached version 1.0 for this multi-language, multi-platform build solution...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

lol, fast and java in same sentence

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
      Fast is relative of course but OpenJDK JVM is a pretty mature high performance implementation

Comment

Two words for you: GraalVM
        Last edited by bug77; 17 October 2019, 09:54 AM.

Comment

someone is stealing my justification for longer coffee breaks...

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Two words for you: GraalVM
            Nice! Is it possible to use this to directly speed up .jar execution?

Comment

Looking into it, I much prefer CMake. However one area that CMake doesn't seem to handle well is the NDK cross compilers. CMake with gradle is horrible (because Gradle is horrible). However Bazel seems to be able to do the C++ and Java Activity boilerplate without requiring additional cruft and so looks quite elegant.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Nice! Is it possible to use this to directly speed up .jar execution?
                Considering one of its features is AoT compilation (aka translation of jars to executables), not only will it speed up execution, but it will cut the memory consumption while at it. I'm not sure where it's at right now, last I checked it only worked on 64bit Linux executables. Which is good enough for me, but not good enough for production

Comment

probably meant, faster than python(meson), which to be fair, almost everything is. If it werent for it's ninja backend, meson would be totally useless.

Comment

Bazel is actually quite good for multi-system builds. Most people won't "get it" because it's not aimed as a direct replacement for Make, Cmake or the other traditional builders.

Bazel is one layer above. It's used to build source -> binaries sure but also to build binaries -> artifacts and artifacts -> deployables (e.g. deployment step functions). This is a huge unifying and performance boon for people/companies utilizing the cloud heavily. The hermeciticy and highly efficient caching ensures it's better than most others you could've cooked up for your pipeline.
                    Last edited by Almindor; 18 October 2019, 10:40 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Working...
                    X