Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 19.10's Kernel Ships With A DoS / Arbitrary Code Execution Bug In The IPv6 Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 19.10's Kernel Ships With A DoS / Arbitrary Code Execution Bug In The IPv6 Code

Phoronix: Ubuntu 19.10's Kernel Ships With A DoS / Arbitrary Code Execution Bug In The IPv6 Code

If you are planning to run the newly-released Ubuntu 19.10, among the initial round of stable release updates is an important kernel fix...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is why distro's should release on stable kernels with CI. Can't believe it's still not standard practice. Ubuntu's April release cycles follow exactly 4-5 months after a stable LTS release so you would think that it's a no-brainer.

Comment

Originally posted by LoveRPi View Post
      This is why distro's should release on stable kernels with CI. Can't believe it's still not standard practice. Ubuntu's April release cycles follow exactly 4-5 months after a stable LTS release so you would think that it's a no-brainer.
      and what about the hardware enablement and new kernel features and fixes? IMO the status quo is correct

Comment

One of the very first things I do on any Linux install is add "ipv6.disable=1" to the kernel boot options.

Comment

Originally posted by linner View Post
          One of the very first things I do on any Linux install is add "ipv6.disable=1" to the kernel boot options.
          I'm not sure that's something to be proud of, given how much the world has dragged its heels on IPv6 adoption, even as we see things like carrier-grade NAT becoming more necessary.

Comment

Amazingly bold to say just days after the RIPE NCC announced they have no IPv4 to sell anymore.

Comment

I agree, if you have no use for ipv6, disable it. Why would you want to have (probably unconfigured) interfaces you're not paying any attention to?

I have dedicated, static IPV4 addresses, both with ISP and datacenters and nobody is going to be snatching them away.

Comment

Advertising you're a moron is not something to be proud of.

Comment

I see why it is recommended to stick with an LTS release nowadays. The 6 month release just don't seem to get the testing needed it would appear.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

I'm not sure that's something to be proud of, given how much the world has dragged its heels on IPv6 adoption, even as we see things like carrier-grade NAT becoming more necessary.
                    Ironically, when my ISP adopted/trialed a carrier-grade NAT for a while, they dropped IPv6 support.

Comment

Working...
                    X