The Spectre Mitigation Impact For Intel Ice Lake With Core i7-1065G7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Spectre Mitigation Impact For Intel Ice Lake With Core i7-1065G7

Phoronix: The Spectre Mitigation Impact For Intel Ice Lake With Core i7-1065G7

For those wondering if -- or how much -- of a performance impact mitigations still make regarding Spectre for Intel's long-awaited 10nm+ Ice Lake processors, here is the rundown on the mitigation state and the performance impact.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael

It looks like there's something wrong with the second FS-Mark test - it should not be drastically different from the first one from what I understand.

Also, while all these results are no doubt interesting they don't give any idea whether Ice Lake has improved in comparison to Kaby Lake (which doesn't have any hardware mitigations) / Whiskey or Comet Lake (contains some mitigations) / AMD Zen 2(known for its best track record in regard to transient execution CPU vulnerabilities).

Still thank you very much for your hard work!

Comment

Thanks for the test. I just would have liked to see NetPerf results. They were impacted a lot in previous tests.

Comment

Michael

Also, it would be great if you posted `awk '/bugs/{ $1=""; $2=""; print; exit}' /proc/cpuinfo`

Comment

birdie check openbenchmarking: https://openbenchmarking.org/system/...190905/cpuinfo

Comment

So is this Ice Lake really immune to some of these Spectre exploits, or does it just report itself to the OS as non-vulnerable?

Comment

Originally posted by mlau View Post
              So is this Ice Lake really immune to some of these Spectre exploits, or does it just report itself to the OS as non-vulnerable?
              Would be pretty bold of Intel if they have fake mitigations.

Comment

WOW, those ctx_clock numbers!
                Intel really wasn't screwing around when they proclaimed to have "best-in-class latency"!

Now, this makes me wonder:
                Is Google utilising Intel's Cascade Lake for Stadia? (Same architecture as Ice Lake.)

That at least would make sense for their goal of achieving the lowest latency possible for gaming (and where AMD's ZEN architecture still falls short).

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
                  WOW, those ctx_clock numbers!
                  Intel really wasn't screwing around when they proclaimed to have "best-in-class latency"!

Now, this makes me wonder:
                  Is Google utilising Intel's Cascade Lake for Stadia? (Same architecture as Ice Lake.)

That at least would make sense for their goal of achieving the lowest latency possible for gaming (and where AMD's ZEN architecture still falls short).
                  IIRC, the best Cascadelake latency I've seen was 120~150. Cascadelake is not using Sunny Cove.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by dispat0r View Post

Would be pretty bold of Intel if they have fake mitigations.
                    True, but I wouldn't put it past them.

Comment

Working...
                    X