Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.4 Lands A Number Of Memory Management Fixes

Phoronix: Linux 5.4 Lands A Number Of Memory Management Fixes

While mid-way through the Linux 5.4 development cycle with RC4 due out on Sunday, a number of memory management fixes just hit the mainline kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So not really exciting for desktop users.

Comment

I'm keenly waiting for 5.4 release, using 5.0. something -31 atm on pop_OS

Comment

Originally posted by Baguy View Post
        So not really exciting for desktop users.
        It should be very good for desktop users, memory management bugs can be ruinious for a desktop application as well. These bugs affect server and desktop (most of the kernel does).

Comment

I ran some experiments yesterday and had a hard time to get the Kernel (tried 5.3.7 and 5.4 RC3) to work with my usual custom compilation flags and custom config which should be save to use, that is with their shipping GCC 9.2.1 on Kubuntu 19.10 and Suse Tumbleweed, I've also tried Clang 10 with the latest AMDGPU patches from Nick Desaulniers, every time I can boot up the new Kernel fine and land on the desktop but my USB-Keyboard and Mouse are not working at all. It was even worse with GCC 10, such a Kernel wouldn't even boot.

Even taming down my compilation flags to O2 -march=native didn't help. Very strange...

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
            I ran some experiments yesterday and had a hard time to get the Kernel (tried 5.3.7 and 5.4 RC3) to work with my usual custom compilation flags and custom config which should be save to use, that is with their shipping GCC 9.2.1 on Kubuntu 19.10 and Suse Tumbleweed, I've also tried Clang 10 with the latest AMDGPU patches from Nick Desaulniers, every time I can boot up the new Kernel fine and land on the desktop but my USB-Keyboard and Mouse are not working at all. It was even worse with GCC 10, such a Kernel wouldn't even boot.

Even taming down my compilation flags to O2 -march=native didn't help. Very strange...
            Hmm, at least I don't have the same problems on my Sandy Bridge laptop with GCC 9.2.1 with OpenSuse Tumbleweed on 5.4 RC4. Maybe it is hardware specific, that system above was my Ryzen desktop which is quite sensitive with USB devices in general.

Comment

Working...
            X