Ikey Doherty Launches Open-Source Focused Game/Software Development Company

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ikey Doherty Launches Open-Source Focused Game/Software Development Company

Phoronix: Ikey Doherty Launches Open-Source Focused Game/Software Development Company

Well known open-source figure Ikey Doherty who rose to prominence for his work on the Solus Linux distribution and then went on to work on Intel's Clear Linux project is now having his hand at game engine development...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Best of luck for his new endeavours! But I was hoping that he would help Intel to polish Clear Linux for desktop/gaming use. They certainly need more fine-tuning to become a viable desktop solution.

Comment

Please make the UI modular/standalone if you are planning on spending a lot of time on it. Good luck!

Comment

As a game developer myself, starting a new engine from scratch while doing your first game is just a very bad idea. If you want to make a game, make a game (using Godot if you want to use open source tools). If you want to make a game engine, then do so. Just not both at the same time. I've seen, times and times again, game developers doing both and (for a vast majority) failing. A game engine is just very hard to do, there are dozens of components to implement (even if you use open source base blocks from the start), not to speak about support afterwards. Moreover, I think Godot would be glad to receive contributions.

Comment

Originally posted by Creak View Post
          As a game developer myself, starting a new engine from scratch while doing your first game is just a very bad idea. If you want to make a game, make a game (using Godot if you want to use open source tools). If you want to make a game engine, then do so. Just not both at the same time. I've seen, times and times again, game developers doing both and (for a vast majority) failing. A game engine is just very hard to do, there are dozens of components to implement (even if you use open source base blocks from the start), not to speak about support afterwards. Moreover, I think Godot would be glad to receive contributions.
          Well said. There is a reason third party engines like Unreal, Unity and even Godot are so popular. Modern games are too complex for a developer to expend precious time on a engine instead of the game. Heck, even big publishers like (spits on the ground) Electronic Arts took a engine (Frostbite) from their most successful studio and shove it down the throats of their lesser ones, to simplify things and let them focus on the game at hand.

If look back, even on the NES era there was a engine being used on games from different studios.

Comment

its not a modern day game and engine. the website shows some vintage looking graphics reminding of scumVM, not very serious for now.

Comment

Ah, yes, the same IKey that finishes literally zero things that he's ever started is going to start a game dev company... Seems like a terriblie idea.

Comment

Their "game engine" has next to no code at all... https://github.com/lispysnake/serpent

And for only $20, you can buy all of the games that will never be released by them:

Comment

How can anyone trust a guy that can't stick to his own projects?

Comment

Originally posted by Syretia View Post
                    Ah, yes, the same IKey that finishes literally zero things that he's ever started is going to start a game dev company... Seems like a terriblie idea.
                    Creating an independent, working distro with its own DE doesn't impress you?

Comment

Working...
                    X